We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
236 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

We are returning to Israel the end of May 2014. At the moment, we arrive in TA on the 25th and will go straight to Jerusalem (Friday). Planning on leaving for Tel Aviv on May 1 with a return to LA on May 7.

As this is our second visit, we are leaving out most of the north, and would like to add a possible overnight to Eilat/Petra. I have been referred to Desert Eco Tours, and have been emailing with Gil. My optimum way to do this would be to go to Eilat from Jerusalem and return, via flight, to Tel Aviv.

What are the options to get to Eilat........though 'local' egged bus would not be our first choice.? Would we need one night in Eilat and one night in Petra, or is the one day trip to Petra enough time to do it justice?

Obviously our time is limited, and we want to be in Tel Aviv area for Israel's Birthday, which is the 6th of June (and Memorial Day).

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Moshe Kogan Tour Guide
Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Archaeology Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Eyal Korin- Ramon Crater Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Negev Jeep
Geologic Formations, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Archaeology Tours
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

A one-day trip to Petra from where? From Jerusalem? This would necessitate flying in both directions, leaving at 5 a.m. and returning late the following night.

Israel's birthday (Independence Day) is MAY 6 in 2014, not June 6.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

If you are planning to take the bus to Eilat, then it makes sense to sandwich Eilat between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv - taking the bus from Jerusalem and flying back to Tel Aviv.

However, in that case you would need to take all your luggage with you.

I would personally chop a day of Jerusalem and go to Tel Aviv a day earlier, and then fly TLV --> Eilat --> TLV some time in middle of your Tel Aviv week, so that you can leave your stuff in your Tel Aviv hotel. Personally I would take the 2-day Petra trip. You can take the earliest flight from Tel Aviv to Eilat on the 1st day, and the latest flight from Eilat back to Tel Aviv on the 2nd day.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

May 25 is a Sunday. Are you arriving on Friday APRIL 25 and leaving May 7 (the day after Independence Day) ??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

I am corrected; I am arriving the end of APRIL...Fri the 25th and leaving at 1:10 am on Wednesday the 7th of May, after the Independance Day celebration.

In Tel Aviv we are staying at the Hilton; would they hold our luggage overnight for us?

debi when you say the two day trip to Petra, do you mean day one travel to Eilat and day two PEtra/return to Tel Aviv? or do you mean more time in Petra itself? That could work doing it during the TEl Aviv week instead of Jerusalem. Do the airlines fly on shabbat?.....I"m sure it's a no but...............

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

<< Do the airlines fly on shabbat?.....I"m sure it's a no but...............>>

A quick look at the Arkia website shows a flight to from Tel Aviv to Eilat on Saturday November 2 at 13:30, and the Israir website shows a flight from Tel Aviv to Eilat, departing 15:15. So it's a yes.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,752 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

I suggest flying to Eilat the night before your tour to Petra. Return flight at 9 p.m. after returning or the following morning. Both Arkia and Israir fly on Shabbat to Ben Gurion and Sde Dov airports. Tickets are purchased as one way so you can mix and match airlines and airports.

Chana

Israel

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

Let me offer another suggestion: Fly into Amman from LAX, go to Petra first, come back in via either the Allenby or Eliat crossing, then head to Jerusalem and leave from Tel Aviv. Right now on Expedia I'm seeing a LAX-AMM-TLV-LAX flight for $833 on Turkish Air, via Istanbul. That's dang cheap. I would not expect this fare to last long.

Mentioned in this post
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

Already booked/paid on El Al nonstop from LA.......not changing that!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

I meant the 2 day 1 night trip to Petra and Wadi Rum. You can either fly to Eilat the previous day and have 2 nights away or take the earliest morning flight and have 1 night away.

If you are staying at the Hilton prior and post Petra then they should hold you luggage while you are away.

Mentioned in this post
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to approach visit to Eilat/Petra

I meant the 2 day 1 night trip to Petra and Wadi Rum. You can either fly to Eilat the previous day and have 2 nights away or take the earliest morning flight and have 1 night away.

If you are staying at the Hilton prior and post Petra then they should hold you luggage while you are away.

Mentioned in this post
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan