We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

We are staying in a Jerusalem hotel and are renting a car. We have been in Israel before and absolutely enjoyed our trip to the Dead Sea. This time we are planning to drive there ourselves vs taking a tour. Need advice regarding the best way to enjoy everything. We will not be visiting Masada or Ein Gedi but want to spend a whole day enjoying the water and spa. I have seen on some of the forums that it is possible to buy a day pass to one of the hotels. Any recommendations on a what hotel or spa to pick? I do not need luxury but a reasonable place where we can have lunch (kosher) and enjoy the water. We are coming in December so I understand that it might not be possible to go inside the Dead Sea hence the interest in the spa(separate beach not required).

Thanks!

Arik Private Tours In Israel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

I suggest you purchase a 'bathing and lunch' package at the Crowne Plaza Dead Sea hotel. You'll enjoy a kosher meat buffet lunch and use of the hotel's spa facilities and private beach. The Crowne Plaza is one of the few hotels in EIn Bokek that's located directly on the beach - most are across the road.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

All the hotels in the Ein Bokek area are kosher - so no problem there.

Recommended choices for day passes are the Crown Plaza, the Lot and the Hod - the latter two are a bit less costly.

All have wonderful facilities, a nice lunch buffet and even in December you will be able to go into the Dead Sea and spend time outside.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

The spa packages are between 140-200 shekels for the day including lunch. Some have indoor Dead Sea pools, in case it is cold when you come. Not all the hotels are on the beach, but may be across the street (3 minute walk). This will not decrease your experience.

Chana

Israel

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

Thank you to all the experts. Since we are on the subject of day trips, could you recommend another easy one? We are not big drivers and are not interested to run around much, but one or two interesting historic places within easy driving distance from Jerusalem would be ideal.Thanks again.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

I spent a few hours at the Crowne Plaza this past January as part of a tour and, with a little effort, made it into the Dead Sea - a little chilly but well worth it!! Great photo op. Nice indoor pool with Dead Sea water. Lunch was fine.

Tel Aviv, Israel
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

hi, I am not sure what is best..

I found all the info for my trip on this site.. its not commercial so its much more accurate :

www.deadseaguide.com

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

Not near the Dead Sea or yes near the Dead Sea. Most daily tours go to Ein Gedi, Masada and a spa. Other places not far from Jerusalem on a daily tour would be Tel Aviv. If you are willing to drive or even take a taxi you could go to Herodian, Rachels' Tomb or even Beit Guvrin, on your own. There are no regular guided tours to these sites (except maybe Rachel's Tomb combined with Hebron or Bethlehem).

Chana

Israel

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

I meant in any other direction. Yes, we will be willing to drive as long as it is an easy drive (11/2 hour tops).

Also, i was a little disappointed at Crown Plaza reviews. The alternative ( praised on TA) is Hod hotel. Can I get an idea on how much it would be for a day pass there? No info on the website. Is it possible to do Qumran caves in the same day, If we split our day between the two? Thanks!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

You cannot enter the Qumran caves. You can visit the adjacent excavations, but not the caves, which are a closed archeological site.

http://tinyurl.com/nwehx4a

Edited: 22 October 2013, 19:17
10. Re: Planning a day trip to the Dead Sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 05:19