We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sleeping outdoors

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sleeping outdoors

Would anything happen in Israel if I slept outside without a tent eg. on a beach, under a tree

Just wondering!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,841 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sleeping outdoors

When and were are you planning to do this, AND I do not know where you will find the tree to sleep under. I DO think ( I could be wrong and the Israelis will be up in 3-4 hours) it is illegal in most places.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sleeping outdoors

There are trees only around the Dea of Galulee and you would be safe as far as your plan is. Just keep in mind that being totally alone has its risks but is probably okay. It certainly is not illegal. What time if year are you planning this sleeping under a tree at the beach?

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sleeping outdoors

A lot of Israelis sleep on beaches at weekends and holidays, mainly between about May and October. Sometimes the beaches can be quite crowded at night and can be noisy and rowdy (music playing, kids running around, people drinking and having fun) - but generally great fun and quite safe, I think. If you're on your own you'd need to look after your belongings. And if you're a woman on your own you should stay close to somewhere where there are families or other people you feel you can rely on.

Sleeping in parks and such like is mainly in specifically defined sites, where it's totally acceptable and there are facilities. Just pitching a tent on a field in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be a great idea.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sleeping outdoors

I assume you are not planning on doing this in winter. And if so, bear in mind that it can be very cold and wet in winter.

I am not sure what Chana means by "there are trees only around the Sea of Galilee". This would imply that the rest of the country has no trees. There are millions of trees all over the country, mostly in forests planted over the last 100 years by the Jewish National Fund. As I look out of my window I can see hillsides covered in trees. I don't think I would want to sleep under any of them, though.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 05:44
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sleeping outdoors

I think the reference to trees had to do with the OPs original question about sleeping under a tree on a beach. Or at least that was one way of reading the question.

There are no trees at any beaches on the Mediterranean and not in Eilat beaches.

To further clarify - you can't just plunk down a sleeping bag anywhere you want in parks, etc. In national parks and nature reserves you can only camp in designated areas.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sleeping outdoors

There is a list of overnight camping grounds here:

http://campingil.org.il/

as others said - if you are coming in the winter, you'll want to watch the weather, because when it does rain, the rains are often very heavy, sometimes lasting several days. It can also get cold at night in desert areas.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sleeping outdoors

Oreet understood what I read from the original message. Definately don't just plunk yourself down in an undesignated area for your own safety and security.

Chana

Israel

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sleeping outdoors

Thanks for the replies. I'm travelling on a budget, so thought it might be fun to carry a sleeping bag & look for some different places to sleep overnight. It is a winter trip, so maybe its not the best idea then. The camping list is helpful and i'm trying to find places to volunteer short-term through Workaway, so i'm sure i'll find some sort of alternative accommodation! Maybe i'll save my sleeping bag plan for the summer beach parties!

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sleeping outdoors

There are plenty of cheap barebones campsites like this in the Negev, if you're headed that way.

http://silentarrow.com/

Other budget accommodations in Israel are hostels (although they are not dirt cheap -- about US$80/night for a single, some offer dorm room for less), Christian pilgrim hostels near religious sites (there are many in the Old City of Jerusalem).

And some national parks have camping options.

I have come across people who just plunked down a tent in the middle of nowhere. It's usually safe, but there are risks... animals, jeeps, sprinklers, etc. (depends on the area).

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sleeping outdoors

You could also try couchsurfing - there are very active couchsurfing groups in Israel.

Your biggest constraint with camping in the winter will be the weather. Aside from the rain, the temperature level can go down to freezing in the hills (January is usually the coldest month, and we had two days of snow in Jerusalem last winter). Personally, I think it's best to focus on indoor options from Nov/Dec-Feb/March.