We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card for iPhone in Israel

Houston
1 post
Save Topic
Sim card for iPhone in Israel

I will be in Israel for 10 days. I have an AT&T iPhone 5. Can I buy and install a sim card in Israel?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim card for iPhone in Israel

I used an Orannge SIM card in my iPhone. Whilst I don't have Iphone 5 there shouldn't be any problem getting a SIM for it.

Make sure your iphone is unlocked or you won't be able to use a non A T& T card in it.

Where are you planning to get your card? A SIM card can be bought at the Post Office at the airport but I don't think you can get a data pack there. (We couldn't get a data pack at another Post Office in Israel in the past).

If you are starting your vacation in Tel Aviv you can get an Orange SIM card at the Dizzengoff centre. If you are going to a different city then let us know which one and I am sure someone here will know where you can get one.

Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim card for iPhone in Israel

Is the Sim Card sold at the post office the same size for the iPhone 5? Or does it have to be trimmed or exchanged?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim card for iPhone in Israel

I don't know for sure. The IPhone 5 takes a nano SIM card. The only info they have online is found here:

israelpost.co.il/mall.nsf/prodsbycode/175…

It is possible that they have packs with the different sizes in but I don't know for sure. I know there are sites online that tell you how to trim the normal sim to suit the iPhone 5 but none of them guarantee it will work ok because the nano SIM is not only smaller but it is thinner. So even if you trim it, there is the possibility that it will be too thick.

I actually think you would be better going either direct to the Orange shop, or else to a stall in a shopping centre that sells them.

When you get there and find out, would you please let us know what happened. I know someone who will be going with an IPhone 5 next year and he would appreciate any extra info you can provide.

Hertfordshire UK
Level Contributor
218 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim card for iPhone in Israel

Hi, I live in Uk, and travel to Israel every few weeks... I have an iPhone 5 ( my English phone) an iphone 4 (which was my old English phone) and now is my Israeli phone, and also a mifi Huawei E586 router...

So hopefully, will be able to advise....

iphone 5 takes a nano sim, ipnone 4 a micro sim and the mifi a regular size..

In my iphone 4 I bought a pay as you go micro Cellcom sim.. ( they call it Talkman out in Israel) and this can be topped up whenever you need... It will give you 3G data... and depending how knowledgable and cooperative the salesman is for approximately 80 - 100 shekels unlimited calls and texting within Israel...

For my mifi, I have bought a micro sim again.. and pop it into an adapter to make it regular size.. This I use for data only so that when I am out I can easily get a wifi signal for my UK iphone 5...

The plan I use for this is called Big Talk with Orange.. and costs anything from 80 shekels upwards depending on how long you want the service for and how many gigs...

The reason I buy a micro sim for the mifi is so that should I need to pop it into a phone it does not need to be cut down... easier to put a micro into an adapter and make it regular size than trying to cut down a regular size to micro..

The place that I have found has the most knowledge and experience to sell the various plans available is a shop called Super Link .. and even with them you need to "direct" them as to what you wish to purchase..

If you go to the many "stands" in any of the malls around the country.. they are dedicated to the provider they work for and will not know want or be able to sell you anything else.

Super link is a chain that has no affiliation to any phone company...

Lastly.. once you have made your initial sim purchase and plan and know what you want, you can top up in any post office.. registered exchange bureau or super link shop...

Regarding the airport the shop is very unhelpful and although there is a shop as you exit where you can rent.. phones and sims.. they are much more expensive...

Hope this helps....

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim card for iPhone in Israel

That is really helpful. Thanks for posting all that info. :)

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim card for iPhone in Israel

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It is very helpful

7. Re: Sim card for iPhone in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 05:18