We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a menorah

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Purchasing a menorah

I am looking for a few suggestions on where in Jerusalem to purchase a 7 branch menorah. Not an antique or expensive one but also better than a souvenir. Maybe in the $200 - $300 range. Also does not have to be metal. Each trip we try and come back with something representative. We will also be in the Negev if there are better places down there.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,775 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a menorah

Most of the Menorah's you see--especially non-souvenir are going to be 8 branch for Chanukah.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a menorah

I thought that may be the case, and I am looking for a 6 branch not 7. Is this type of menorah inappropriate or just not commonly available today

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,055 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing a menorah

It is not clear what ecactly you are looking for. In Israel the manufacturing of Chamukiyot which are used for Chanukah is very prevelent. Since a 6 branched Menorah is (most likely) not produced here in mass production you would need to check with a silversmith (or other craftsman) if they make such a candelabrum - but assured you the cost would not fit into the budget you mentioned. If you want a 9 branched one check out the shops in the Jerusalem Cardo, Ben Yehuda street or perhaps Nahalat Benyamin crafts fair (between mow and Chamukah).

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,775 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing a menorah

A six branched menorah, with a middle totaling 7 lights just has limited use. I've seen them in inexpensive souvenir shops purchased usually by tourists who do not realize it is NOT a Chanukiyah. If you wanted one that you could use for Chanukah then I would recommend Gans on Rivlin Street. BUT, I have a feeling that is not what you want and the price range you are looking for--is not realistic. You will either be way way lower or significantly higher.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing a menorah

I was recently in Israel and went to Bethlehem in Palestine and bought a silver 7 candle menorah for $180.00 American dollars from an upmarket souvenir shop that gives you a document stating that the item is silver or in the case of gold jewellery a certificate of authenticity.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing a menorah

Well Robbie, you have been done. Not something to boast about. It may have very thin silver plating, but cannot be genuinely described as "silver".

Wanna buy a bridge ?

Edited: 31 October 2013, 05:02
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing a menorah

samd - don't rush to make judgment. Robbie didn't tell us how big this menorah is. If it's around 1.5 cm (half an inch) then it could well be genuine.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,229 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing a menorah

I am guessing that the OP is NOT looking for a chanukiah. Some Christian visitors want a seven-branch menorah because this was the type of menorah that stood in the Temple before its destruction. The point isn't Chanuka but commemorating an important Biblical object.

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 31 October 2013, 08:58
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing a menorah

What you are asking for is not an object that Jews typically buy for their house. It doesn't really have a use in a private house, like a Chanukah Menorah would. As a result, this is not a common item. I did a search on the Judaicawebstore.com which has pretty much everything you could think of, with most items coming from Israel. Their selection can be seen here

judaicawebstore.com/7-branched-menorahs-C918…

As you can see, they are all really lower priced souvenir style items though some which are electroplated look quite nice.

A traditional 7 armed menorah will have all 7 arms at the same height or if done in a modern, artistic style may have the 7 arms at different heights. It would not have arms at one height and one separate as a shamash as that is a Chanukah menorah requirement. However, there are some like this available but this is a symbol of the Messianic community and not a Jewish symbol that would be accepted by Jews and certainly not one that would be used in a synagogue. It has a different meaning entirely. You may find these in shops catering to Christians.

What is easy to find is the image of the 7 branched menorah on other items such as pendants for jewelry, engraved on kiddish cups, etc. But this is not what you were looking for.

What is seemingly a simple question, in this case is a lot more complicated and not easy to find.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 11:13
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,775 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing a menorah

Douglas--I didn't know that--thank you! note to OP, you could have explained. We are learning all the time. I have never, btw seen anything that has only 6 branches.