We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel visit

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
377 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Israel visit

Good day, everyone. I am planning to come to Israel (Tel Aviv and Jerusalem) in January. Plane tickets confirmed, cannot not come :-) Please help me with some tips.

1) Are there public transport tickets that last 1,2 or 3 days so I don't have to pay every time?

2) I have a dream of eating a crab. One of those women things, I guess :-) Is there a place you recommend?

3) A trip to Dead Sea. Do people swim/float in January? Is it worth seeing if it's too cold?

4) EUR or USD is better to take and exchange? Might be difficult to get Israeli money here.

5) Any good travel guidebook you recommend?

6) What are some of the basic words a tourist should know? Like hello, thank you, I'm sorry, etc.

7) Tickets to buses to Jerusalem- do I buy them from the drivers or at the ticket offices?

Feel free to share other tips, too. Thank you in advance.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel visit

I'll try to answer what I know:

2. In Tel Aviv Derby-Bar un the port and "the old man and the sea" in Jaffa (kedem street and the Jaffa port) have them.

3.One can float during January. But the "must see" there is Masada.

4. Bring Euro or US$ - does not matter. Change here at a change shop for the best rate. Change a small amount at the airport for taxi, train and something to eat/drink if you need.

5. Look at the right side of Israel forum page at TOP QUESTIONS for recommendations on guidebooks.

7. You can buy tickets from the driver. For the light train you have a to buy a ticket from the vending machine.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel visit

1. No - you will have to get a ticket each time - usually there are free transfers for buses/trams in the city - in Jerusalem you get 90 minutes free.

3. Yes - you can experience the Dead Sea in January - but as Shoshi said, don't miss Masada

4. - Again follow Shoshi's advice - do not try to get Israeli money at home- wait till you are here.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
377 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel visit

I'm glad about Dead Sea information. When I told my Mum that I might swim (not the right word, rather, float?) in January she said I was crazy :-) I also found a company that advertises Masada sunrise watching tour.

I didn't pay attention to the 90 minute rule for the buses, this is great.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel visit

NB in Tel Aviv you can buy a day pass for the city buses (you buy it on the bus). It is worthwhile if you are taking really a lot of buses, but because of the 90 minute change rule and because sometimes you might want to take a sherut (van) instead of a bus it's not always worth bothering with the day pass.

It might be fairly cool weather at the Dead Sea. Could be a good idea to have a dip somewhere like the Ein Gedi spa where there are indoor hot pools as well as the Dead Sea. If you hit a really cold day, many hotels in Ein Bokek have indoor pools with Dead Sea water.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
377 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel visit

Do you happen to know the price of such bus pass? I'm trying to compile a budget for this trip.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel visit

I think it's a little over the price of 2 individual tickets. Individual tickets (with 90 min free transfer) cost 6.60 NIS

Edited: 03 November 2013, 12:29
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel visit

The one-day bus pass for Tel Aviv is now available ONLY on a Rav-Kav electronic smartcard. Although there is nothing to stop you getting one of these cards, it's not worth the hassle for a relatively short visit. You won't really get any other benefit out of it. It isn't something you can put a fixed sum, say 100 shekels, on and use as you like; you can only buy specific "packages". It isn't smart enough...

Within Jerusalem you get unlimited travel on city buses and the light rail (tram) for 90 minutes, NIS 6.60.

You can probably find crab in some restaurants in Jaffa Port. Plenty of seafood there. Crab is definitely not a mainstream in Israel, and very few places will serve it.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
377 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel visit

I just read online that there are good seafood places, so I assumed crab. But of course I enjoy all seafood.

Another question: if you had time to see one museum in Tel Aviv, what museum would that be? I know it depends on taste. I want to see something of history, archaeology, maybe jewelry.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israel visit

Crabs are not that rare. Last week I saw people eating them at "the old man and the sea" restaurant in Jaffa. It depends on the season but NOW till march is the season. In cities with majority of kosher restaurants they are difficult to find.

Museum - The Art Museum on Shaul Hamelech has a nice collection and has temporary exhibitions too. But it is a regular art museum. For a more "Israeli" experience go to the Eretz Israel museum or the Palmach Museum. There are more of course. For details go to ilmuseums.com. Here is a list of all museums in Israel, so you get an idea and later go into the website of those that you fancy.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Israel visit

2. Most seafood restaurants in Israel specialize in fish, then shrimp and calamari. Crab is not that popular in Israel. If you specifically want crab, "Benny the Fisherman" in the Tel Aviv port has them as well as "Mul Yam" (expensive). Otherwise, go to the Jaffa port as others have suggested.

3. Don't worry, the Dead Sea in January is still warmer than the Baltic Sea in August, but some days are cloudy and there is a even a rare chance of rain. As mentioned, don't forget Masada and if you have time, a hike at the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve.

6. Start practicing... www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hebrew.php