We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental CDW coverage for US tourists to Israel - Updated

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental CDW coverage for US tourists to Israel - Updated

I know this is always a popular question in the forums so I wanted to give some good news to US tourists looking to rent a car in Israel. Chase just recently changed some benefits on their credit cards. All their credit cards that provided Car Rental CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) insurance coverage now offer this coverage worldwide with no exclusions for the typical countries (even for Israel, Jamaica, Northern Ireland, etc - the countries that were previously excluded). This applies to all Chase cards (both Visa & MasterCard). Of course please call the number on the back of your Chase credit card to confirm that this is the case for your card. Also you should get a letter from Chase stating that coverage applies in Israel as a confirmation for yourself and also to have in case the car rental company in Israel demands proof that the card provides insurance.

(Keep in mind some Chase credit card do charge a foreign transaction fee but they do offer some cards that don't).

Edited: 05 November 2013, 01:45
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Desert Prime
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Eyal Korin- Ramon Crater Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Adam Sela
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Ny
Level Contributor
43 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental CDW coverage for US tourists to Israel - Updated

Despite this, you still need a letter from your insurer, and still need to buy TPPD insurance which effectively doubles the cost of your car rental in Israel.

Wonder whose in the insurers pocket.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental CDW coverage for US tourists to Israel - Updated

If that is so, that is very good news!

But the required third-party insurance does not double the cost as I recall. I will not argue with the point that it is ridiculously over-inflated in the cost and is a huge profit center for the car rental companies. That is one of the reasons I'm so committed to reducing it in any way I can by using other CDW coverage.

Douglas Duckett

3. Re: Car rental CDW coverage for US tourists to Israel - Updated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:18