We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

I'm in Tel Aviv! I'm staying for the first time at the Herod's Tel Aviv, founded by King Herod. Not really. It was a Leonardo Plaza Hotel, before that a Sheraton. But the key is nice staff, a breathtaking view of the Mediterranean Sea from the lobby, and a very nice balcony with a sea view that has my name with coffee written all over it tomorrow morning. I like the place a lot already, and the staff is VERY friendly and helpful.

For now, I am getting settled and will shortly walk down the Herbert Samuel Promenade that goes along the seashore to get some sunlight to reset the body clock, as well as some dinner shortly.

How happy I am to be standing in Israel again!

Finally, a word about this trip report. In it, I will be sharing my experiences in a blogging kind of way. I hope I offer reports on sites, restaurants, hotels, and other places that might be of interest for or help to future visitors. But I will also be sharing my impressions and some of my feelings, because that is an inextricable part of the experience for me. If you don't like that kind of report or disagree with me, you are of course free to move on and not read the reports. But you have been advised what to expect, so you can choose accordingly.

I am a very blessed sand happy man this afternoon!

Douglas Duckett

In Tel Avivs

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Welcome!!! Have a wonderful trip.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Have a wonderful trip. I wish we were there also - 122 days until we leave for Israel!

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

wish I was there !

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Douglas baruch haba and welcome.

I love the Freudian typo - "a very blessed sand happy man" - as you look out over the Mediterranean ....

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Welcome back!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Hilarous! You can tell how tired I am -- some of my Hebrew conversation with the taxi driver and bellman has been unintentionally tragic. :-) But they both complimented my Hebrew and told me that I didn't "sound American." (It's always that Rs that give us away.) I'll take it.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

I have to tell you I am loving this view from my room. The very thin crescent Moon, a nearly new moon, hangs just over the Mediterranean as I hear the sound of the waves gently breaking. The rest of the city to the west is lighting up. And I am so very happy to be here!

I'm heading shortly to Manta Ray for dinner. A woman named Joy who had requested my guide suggested I look up her and her husband Neil there -- that should be fun! Otherwise, I suspect it will be an early night.

After all, we have the first Trip Advisor dinner of this visit in Tel Aviv tomorrow evening! :-)

Douglas Duckett

In Tel Aviv

Israel
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Welcome to Israel!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
138 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Bog/ write everything you see and feel...I will look forward to it !

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Labatt's Trip Report -- November 2013

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

9:17 p.m.

I’m back from a wonderful dinner at Manta Ray; I highly recommend it! I met up with Anne (Garden Girl on Trip Advisor) and her husband Neil, and another couple with whom they are traveling. They were lovely company for dinner. It is very nice that of my 15 days in the country, I am only having dinner on my own about three nights at most. Manta Ray is not kosher, but for those not needing that, it is a terrific place for seafood and fish particularly.

One more thing I wanted to point out before I turn in for my first night in Tel Aviv—passing through customs and security at Ben-Gurion was a breeze, my easiest ever. While there is never a guarantee, it took maybe five minutes. I can verify that there is no stamping of the passport—in my case, they didn’t even do it when I asked them to. You get a little card that you keep with your passport instead. But the process was very quick and efficient.

For now, though, I’m exhausted, so I will wish you a laila tov (good night) from Tel Aviv!

Douglas Duckett