We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

Noordeloos, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
445 reviews
Save Topic
Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

This village is a fairly recent result of excavations and restaurations, and is worth at least a detour when you're visiting the Golan Heights. As the Golan has no specific entry for forum posts, I'm using "Israel" instead. I feel that the site is worth a listing on TA, but unfortunately they don't have a website, no e-address and only a telephone number (+972 4 696 24 12). They're listed on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/katzrin. The site is located at road 9088 in Katzrin's Industrial Area, charges an entrance fee, and is accessible for wheelchairs.

Mentioned in this post
Golan Heights
Golan Heights
Middle East
Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

I agree that this is a worthwhile site. I tried to write a review of the Talmudic Village after I visited there in August, but because of the lack of address details, Trip Advisor rejected my review.

Our favorite activity was the grape-stomping/wine-making workshop.

I also thought the homemade pita there was among the best I've ever eaten.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 13:56
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

I take groups of Canadian teens to the village and they get a lot out of it. The reconstructed house really helps them to see what life was like and the activities are lots of fun. A must for Jewish teens in the Golan in my opinion but interesting for everyone, especially archeology and history buffs.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 15:46
Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

Good timing for his thread, as I thinking of working this into my next group trip. Two questions:

1. How long will a reasonable visit of the village take?

2. Nazareth Village will also be on the tour. Would there be too much overlap in the experiences? There is always more things to see and experience than a trip has time for, so I try to plan our visits wisely.

Thanks!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,695 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

About an hour is sufficient. If you would like actors and activities then the visit is closer to two hours. It is not like Nazareth Village, but might be considered redundant due to the type of site. While Katzrin is an actual reconstructed town including a synagogue, the Nazareth Village is a tourist village built to afford visitors a look into what Nazareth Village may have looked like 2000 years ago. I would go to one or the other and put another site on the itinerary that is not similar.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

The two sites are so completely different.

Katzrin was a Jewish village with its heyday in the 4-7th centuries but had people living there until the 14th century. The early synagogue is of special interest. The emphasis is really on the archeological site here as opposed to the activities.

Nazareth village is a recreation where the experience and activities are the focus.

If you visit Katzrin and don't do activities but just touring the site, you could visit for an hour and see the highlights. Take a pass on the movie- so lame. Really targeted at children- even my teens are too old for it. Much better to see the actual ruins and the reconstructed house where we always sit and share a story from the Talmud with the group.

I see Chana and I posted at the same time.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 16:38
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

I have been to Katzrin and also Nazareth village. They are totally different. I didn't feel there was an overlap in the experiences at all.

I presume you have seen the Nazareth Village website? http://www.nazarethvillage.com/

And are you aware of the DVD? ... http://tinyurl.com/mlnaw6z

On the tour we were on when we went to Katzrin it was late in the afternoon and so we went round fairly quickly. I think we were only there three quarters of an hour or so but there may have been a bit more to see than we actually saw so one of the tour guides may give you a better time. There is a bit of info on you tube here : http://tinyurl.com/l8neyyx

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

Chana and Annmejoshme were posting while I was looking up urls!

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

Thanks. I somewhat reluctantly took a group to Nazareth Village in 2008. My general opinion of stuff like that is that's is a bit cheesy. I found the people in my group loved it and it helped their experience.

We will be up in the Golan one day as we circle back from Tel Dan, so I may try to fit in a quick stop. I always plan too much.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

When we went to the talmudic village, it was with 4 children ages 12/9/6/3 in tow, plus 2 grandparents. We opted for the tour with costumed guides and enjoyed it very much. The guides were very knowledgeable, not just constumed actors. If you want an English-speaking guide, you should call ahead of time, as those tours might only be offerd at specific times.

One note: One member of our party used a wheelchair, and she had a challenging time at this site. Although the paths between each site are paved, the floors of the ancient synagogue, the bakery area, etc are gravel and this made navigation difficult.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ancient Talmudic Village in Katzrin

Pastor Al, you won't find Katzrin cheesy. We went there on a day which included from Dan and Banias also.

We didn't see anyone in costumes like IndigoGrrl speaks of - presumably because we arrived late in the afternoon.

Yes, I agree that there are mobility issues at the site - particularly in the Rabbi's house. The group all climbed up the ladder to the bedroom, but with my back issues that was impossible for me. However, I went around to the other side and found a place where I could see into that same bedroom quite well without doing the steep ladder. Someone in a wheelchair wouldn't manage that part, but other parts would be easier.