We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

California
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

Which is better for last week of November- Masada Sunrise, Ein Gedi, and Dead Sea Tour or just the regular Masada Sunrise, Ein Gedi, and Dead Sea Tour with Abraham hostel?

Would get up early in the morning if Masada sunrise is just as spectacular as in the summer. Thinking with the daylight savings time, I would be in the dark for the Masada Sunrise tour.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

By definition, a sunrise tour starts in the dark whether it is summer or winter! How can daylight saving time make any difference? If the tour starts - say - one hour before sunrise, that will be in the dark, whether sunrise is at 3 a.m. or 8 a.m.!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

Depends on a number of factors:

1. Where are you departing from

2. Are you willing to wake up at 3-4 a.m.

3. Do you want a guided tour or just transportation

4. What the weather will be that day(rain in Jerusalem may cancel some travel possibilities

The choice is totally yours.

Chana

Israel

California
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

Departing from Abraham hostel

Yes, I will wake up at 3 AM if the Sunrise tour is more spectacular than the regular tour leaving at 7 A.M. I don't need a guide.

Is the 10 day weather report from weather.com pretty accurate for Jerusale?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

I haven't done the sunrise on Masada in November but have done it in Feb and March (also winterish months). The thing is that not every sunrise is that great. It depends if there are clouds that day or if you are freezing in the wind up top in the cold. While I personally loved the sunrise climbs in the summer, given a choice, I would choose the extra sleep and energy for Ein Gedi and the Dead Sea over the sunrise tour in the winter.

There are 2 places in Israel where I have been really, really cold. One was in the Galilee in the winter staying in a hotel with no heat, and the other was at the top of Masada waiting for the sun to rise in February. Whatever you choose, have a great trip and if you go for the sunrise, dress in layers though I hear it is quite warm this November....but the desert at night is it's own animal.

California
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

Anmejoshme-

thank you. If every sunrise is not great, then I think I will just enjoy the extra sleep. After all, I will be on vacation! And to get up and be ready by 7 A.M for the regular tour is already early enough.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

Good choice. If the weather is inclement, it would be a waste of your precious sleep (although you can sleep the 1.5 hour ride on the bus). It's nice to see the sunrise, but it's not a must.

Also if you go on the later tour you can get an audio guide in order to know what you are looking at. This is something that is not available if you are there for sunrise.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

Ten day weather forecasts are not accurate for anyplace. If I put in my NYC zip code and ask for a ten day forecast, odds are it won't be accurate. That is jus the nature of weather, not of weather.com

8. Re: Masada sunrise tour in late Nov. or regular time day tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 05:16