We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggested travel itinerary

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
294 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
suggested travel itinerary

Hello. My husband, young adult daughter and I will be traveling to Israel for about 8 days this January. We have been several times and have explored Jerusalem extensively. We always enjoy TelAviv. This time we hope to revisit Eilat, Safed and Tel Aviv, if this makes sense. We will arrive in Tel Aviv on Monday morning, January 6 and plan to rent a car and go. Any suggestions on a driving itinary would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,717 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggested travel itinerary

Eight days only and you want to visit Zfat and Eilat. This will shorten you trip a bit but here it goes:

Day 1 drive straight to Zfat

Day 2 tour Zfat & Golan.

Day 3 tour Upper Galilee.

Day 4 Drive south via Beer Sheva and Makhtesh Ramon. Overnight Mitzpeh Ramon

Day 5 Drive to Eilat

Day 6 day in Eilat

Day 7 drive north via the Dead Sea( weather permitting)

Day 8 Jerusalem and homr.

Very tiring but doable. It may snow in Zfat and be cold in Eilat.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggested travel itinerary

I would divide this short visit between 2 sites: Tel Aviv and the Galilee with 4 days each.

There is a lot to do and see in the Galilee and should Tzfat have snow on one day, you could wait a day or two for it to melt and visit it another day. Having 4 days in the region will allow you to really explore the many sites and be able to take weather into account as well

Tel Aviv-Yafo has so much to see and do and most people don't spend the time to really explore this city. There are great museums and tons of galleries. Food is excellent and you can do winery or food tours from here as well. Yaffo is worth a full day of exploring with the many galleries and now it even has a vibrant night life at the newly remodeled port. You would have time to take in some shows as well.

While Eilat is a good destination in itself, I just don't think that you can reasonable 'see' these 3 sites in a week. It would be a bit of a mad dash. Since you speak about having really 'explored' Jerusalem, other locations are waiting to also be explored and you can do Eilat on another trip, perhaps focusing on the south- Negev and Eilat.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
294 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggested travel itinerary

Thanks for the advice. I should have explained... we have been to Tel Aviv several times and love it.

We have also been to and toured Eilat, Dead Sea (our daughter had her bat mitzvah on top of Masada) as well as Safed... I was hoping I could hit all three in eight days but perhaps we have to choose two of the three.

How long does it take to drive from Safed to Eilat?

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: suggested travel itinerary

<<How long does it take to drive from Safed to Eilat?>>

About eight hours.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggested travel itinerary

If you want to visit Tel Aviv, Safed and Eilat, the best thing is to drive directly to Safed when you arrive, stay a couple of days and then drive back to Tel Aviv, leave your rental car there and fly to Eilat. Stay in Eilat however many days you want and then fly back to Tel Aviv for the last few days.

Or fly to Eilat immediately upon arrival, and do the above itinerary backwards, leaving a few days in Tel Aviv for the end.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggested travel itinerary

NB just in case you are planning a beach-type trip to Eilat - January is a great time for hiking in Eilat but it gets cold-ish in the winter even in Eilat - it likely won't be sitting on the beach weather. I've shivered on the beach in Eilat in a hoody at that time of year before...

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
294 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggested travel itinerary

Thanks so much for all the advice.

8. Re: suggested travel itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17