We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Itinerary

Rishon Le Zion...
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Itinerary

Traveling to Israel for the first time. Arriving in late Friday night and thought we’d stay near the airport and then take a tour to Masada and the Dead Sea on Sunday. On Monday plan to take a bus to Jerusalem and Thursday plan to travel to Tel Aviv until Sunday morning. What is the best way to travel?

Additionally, plan to then spend the next 5 days going north to Ceasarea, Haifa, Baha’I Temple, Akko, Tzfat. Where should we make a home base? What is the best way to see the sights, as we will not have a car. On a tight budget!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,919 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Itinerary

First of all, why is your location given as Rishon Lezion when you say you are travelling to Israel for the first time and will be arriving... ?? It can be of help if we know where you are based.

There is no airport hotel. The airport is between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and for a Friday night it is more convenient to stay in Jerusalem because the Nesher shuttle (10-seater minibus, which runs 24/7) will deliver you to your accommodation in Jerusalem. There is no comparable service to Tel Aviv. From the airport to Tel Aviv on a Friday night, when there is no public transport, your only option is a taxi.

For public transport, see this site which covers all bus companies as well as trains:

www.otobusim.co.il (click on English in top left-hand corner).

How many is "we"? Any children?

Mentioned in this post
Rishon Lezion
Rishon Lezion
Central District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Rishon Le Zion...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Itinerary

I posted this for my mother. She is coming to visit me in Israel.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Rishon Le Zion...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Itinerary

She is coming with a friend, and I will meet up with them for the north part.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Itinerary

If she is arriving Friday night--and wants to go to Masada/Dead Sea on Sunday, what is she doing on Saturday? There is no hotel, as already said near the airport. Go to Jerusalem as Shuffuluff suggested. She can either go to Dead Sea/ Masada on Saturday, or hang out on Saturday and go on a day trip on Sunday. She then has extra days in Jerusalem and can proceed with the plans above. In terms of heading up north it would be much easier if someone either had a car or was willing to drive a rental. ( If you are Israeli, if you drive then they have to pay the VAT, regardless of who is actually renting the car)

Mentioned in this post
The Masada Hostel
The Masada Hostel
222 Reviews
Ein Bokek, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,919 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Rishon Le Zion...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Thank you for the advice. I think she wanted to spend Saturday adjusting to the time change, and then Sunday sounds reasonable for Masada. I am not Israeli, and do not have an Israeli drivers license, and none of us feel super comfortable driving here. Is it unreasonable to assume bus routes will take to all of our wanted destinations? Or does anyone know of a tour group that does a day or two tour of the north?

thanks for the help!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Itinerary

If you want to tour the north, you have to either have a car or do a multi-day tour. It is not easy, or reasonable to see all the sites you want using just public transportation.

Driving is not so difficult, especially in the Galilee, but if you don't want to do that, then check out the following

eggedtours.com/galilee-golan-heights1.aspx

abrahamtours.com/tours/… (this tour company will arrange transportation for a customized self-guided touring situation for families)

Although private guide would likely be the best option, this is very expensive and certainly not doable on a tight budget.

Mentioned in this post
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Itinerary

There are a number of companies that provide group bus tours for the north - one or two day - I would suggest two is better as there is a lot of driving and so much to see.

You can check out Egged Tours, United tours, Bein Harim, Rent a Guide for starters.

Mentioned in this post
Rent a Guide Israel Tours
Rent a Guide Israel Tours
1,824 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Look here for public transport:

www.otobusim.co.il (click English in top left-hand corner). This covers all the bus companies in Israel, as well as Israel Railways.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
9. Re: Advice on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17