We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel with a one year old

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Israel with a one year old

Hi all,

Could do with a bit of advice- I am pregnant and we are planning our last single holiday for January- trying to decide between israel and Cuba- whichever destination we don't pick we hope to go a year later with the baby- so trying to decide which destination would be easier with a baby- any advice from people who have travelled to Cuba with a little one?

Thanks

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel with a one year old

Sorry meant to say- anyone have experience if traveling in israel with a one year old? I presume it is very difficult to see the sights/ get around!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel with a one year old

I've never been to Cuba and I don't have children (although I do live in Israel!). This question seems a little bizarre, choosing between Cuba and Israel. They are chalk and cheese.

I can't imagine anything that the two countries have in common. What attracts you to Israel? History, religious sites, scenery...

I would imagine things are easier with a baby in Israel than in Cuba, because Israel is a developed Western country with excellent medical care - obviously hoping you won't need it - and baby supplies, including some of the brands you're familiar with, easily available. I doubt that's the case in Cuba, although I'm willing to be proved wrong.

And any difficulties of getting around would be the same in any country. You can either rent a car or use public transport, which is inexpensive, efficient, reliable and comfortable in Israel. With a baby I assume you'd want to rent a car, although plenty of people living here have babies and manage without a car.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel with a one year old

I've never been to Cuba but I can tell you that it is very easy to travel around Israel with a baby, or any age child for that matter. Israel is probably one of the most (if not the most) child friendly place in the world - not only will you be welcomed you will also probably get tons of unsolicited advice - but grin, it is all meant well.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel with a one year old

Israel is very child-friendly. In some places (The Old City of Jerusalem, for example), the pavement is difficult to navigate with a stroller, so a child-carrier is recommended.

Sorry, never been to Cuba so I can't compare...

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel with a one year old

I would say that Israel is very child friendly as those before me said. However, I would think about the distance traveled (sitting on the plane) and not just the difficulties of travel with a 1 year old. My preference would be to come to Israel first, so you don't miss out on the most important place in the world (specifically Jerusalem). One never knows what will be in a years time.

I do live in Israel and have raised and taken my children touring from birth till adulthood and find it very easy -- as easy as a tour with a one year old can be (which is, not by the way, an easy feat).

Chana

Israel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel with a one year old

Israel is very easy with kids.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel with a one year old

I have been to both Cuba and Israel but not with a baby.

Israel is a modern first world country with a fascinating history. Great food, easy transportation, lots of nighttime activities. It has mountains, deserts, coastal plains, a variety of climates and begs to be explored from north to south.

Cuba is still a developing country with a very laid back vibe, great resorts, the best beaches I have ever seen in my life, a fascinating culture, unbelievably friendly and open people though somewhat uninformed of the world outside their island, and sadly, a lot of poverty though you won't see people starving in the street in Cuba. While Cuba is a developing country, their health care system is among the top in the world and I would have no qualms about using it if needed, unlike in most areas of the Caribbean.

My suggestion is to do Israel before you have your baby. This will give you far more freedom to explore the deserts, hike the Galilee, enjoy the nightlife of Tel Aviv, visit the Dead Sea (a definite NO with a baby), and take in the history and culture. While you can do this with a baby in tow, you will have more freedom and will be able to do far more as just a couple.

The following year, you can do Cuba, staying on a resort where the amenities and food are far better than in the non-tourist or city zones. From there you can do day trips.

My thoughts,

Annette

Edited: 15 November 2013, 14:59
8. Re: Israel with a one year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:18