We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

Sechelt
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
"star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

Just returned from a trip to Israel during which we had a major problem with cell phone access.

We had purchased a Telus "Travel Pass" for my own cell phone for the trip and it worked just fine for regular phone numbers and such emergency numbers as police, ambulance; however, it did not work for the many "star" numbers in Israel e.g. the 24 hour emergency service number for our rental car * 3888 or the tourist help line with a "star" number.

The customer service folks at Telus don't seem to have an answer other than to admit that the "Travel Pass" is unreliable. They don't seem to know why.

Am I just forced to pay the exorbitant cell phone rental fees in the future?

It seems to me that if Telus has been able to set up agreements re. regular numbers it should be possible to cover the "star" numbers as well.

Martyn, Sechelt, Canada

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

Thanks for sharing this. It's good to know for us other Telus customers.

Other than the * problem did you enjoy your time on Isreal?

Sechelt
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

It was wonderful. Even the problem with the phone led to meeting some incredibly helpful ordinary Israelis and police all of whom went far beyond the call of duty when our rental car broke down. I can't say enough about the help we received, resulting in a new car being delivered to the Golan Heights within 2 hours.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

Next time try Amigo. It gets good reviews on this forum. They ship a phone to you, and you return it to them by post. They also provide the needed packaging.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

While there are star numbers there are also regular landline numbers. The cost should be identical to either type of phone. The star number is just a convenience mobile phone number but is not free.

Thanks for making others aware so they can prepare accordingly(obtaining a landline alternative number).

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,072 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

As Chana said - there are almost always "normal" numbers in addition to the short cut numbers - you just need to look for them and have them available.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

Martyn, I am glad to hear you had a great visit to Israel and that so many were willing to help. It is very encouraging to hear on this world where most only think of themselves.

7. Re: "star" numbers and telus "Travel Pass" in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:17