We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

west hartford, CT
Level Contributor
150 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

Hubby and son will be arriving without a shekel in their pockets - just credit card (which I know works in Israel without a fee), and dollars. They will need to take the train from Ben Gurion to Hadera, where they'll be picked up by friends. Can they buy their train tickets at the station with the credit card?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

Yes, you can buy train tickets with credit cards, either in the machine (not sure if instructions are in English though), or from the live human ticket seller.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,915 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

If I recall correctly I believe I had heard that the railway ticket machines at the airport will switch to English - not 100% sure of this. In any case, as noted, you can use a credit card at the manned ticket booth.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

Or change some money at a change shop or take some shekels from the ATM. They might like a drink or something and they'll need shekalim for that.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

It's definitely worth changing some money to shekels. Credit cards tend to add on transaction/exchange fees which make small transactions not very worthwhile in foreign currencies - and dollars are not much use in Israel outside very high tourist spots.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

All railway ticket machines I've seen can switch to English. Just click "Language" and the "English".

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

Now I think about it, yes, you are right about the machines being in English as well.

west hartford, CT
Level Contributor
150 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

That's great. Fortunately, they have a credit card (Chase Sapphire world mastercard) that doesn't charge any transaction fee, just the usual bank-bank exchange rate. We got it specifically for traveling, and now that the kid is in boarding school in Israel, we'll be going there a lot! Once they get to our friends, they will get shekels.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,690 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

While the train ticket machine takes credit cards and functions in English I can't imagine traveling anyplace without a small amount of local currency in my pocket. Even if they take a $20 bill and change it at the airport. They won't necessarily get the best rate, but at least they'll have change on them that is useful in Israel.

9. Re: Train from TLV to Hadera - does it take credit cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:17