We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mamilla vs. German Colony?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mamilla vs. German Colony?

Do you recommend Mamilla or German Colony for a tourist family? I'd be grateful for all advice! One apartment is nicer than the other but, unsurprisingly, more expensive, so neighborhood differences may be the deciding factor. Thank you!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

The good news is they are both great areas and if the apartment is okay you really can't go wrong.

Mamilla is more central. If you'll be spending a lot of time in the Old City it would be particularly convenient. Close to an attractive outdoor mall (expensive). A slightly "plastic" feel to the neighborhood in my personal opinion with mainly foreign residents who are often not there, so it can seem like a ghost town. Very nice new park right next to you.

German Colony; very lively residential area with lots of cafes and restaurants. Close to the new First Station complex. Bike path and play areas for kids. Feels like a bit of real Jerusalem with real Jerualemites around you. You will need to use the bus or taxis to go to most places (Old City, City Center) although it's only a short ride in most cases.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

For touring and seeing the city, I would recommend Mamilla area because it is so close to everything. Very upscale. If you were staying for a longer period of time (more than a week) and had lots of time to see the sites, then the German Colony is a nice area. I have stayed in both areas but for a first time tourist and if you have children, Mamilla would be more convenient in my opinion.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,906 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

Another vote for Mamilla, very central. You can't go wrong. The German Colony is only about 12-15 minutes by foot from Mamilla, so if that is less expensive, no problem in getting to the Old City by foot (or taxi).

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

I am with PSRV on this one. There are pluses and minuses to each location. Regardless of the length of your trip I would read what PSRV has to say and see which one best fulfills your needs.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

I too think that PRSV has laid out the pros and cons as well as can be said. From there, it depends on your priorities and what experience you most want -- centrality to the Old City or more of a real Jerusalem neighborhood.

Douglas Duckett

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

Thank you for the good advice, everyone! It turns out one apartment manager was much more responsive than the others, so Mamilla it is. I do want to be close to the Old City, so it seems like a little plastic I can deal with.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

Sounds like the right decision for you... have a great stay.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

Mamilla is a terrific location -- you'll love it. And the German Colony is a very pleasant walk from there -- check it out. You'll be happy.

Douglas Duckett

9. Re: Mamilla vs. German Colony?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:16