We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving on route 6 as a toll road

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
driving on route 6 as a toll road

I read that route 6 is a toll road and I assume that means there is toll to pay. I plan to drive from Tel Aviv to Beit Shean on a Sunday morning. What can I expect, do I need to have exact change, shekels only?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,443 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving on route 6 as a toll road

Tolls are collected electronically. This means the rental company will be billed monthly. Eventually, they will figure out which part is yours and charge your card along with a once a month processing fee, usually 50 NIS. The fee is per calendar month no matter how many tolls you have.

The bigger question is why take rt. 6. You will probably do just as well taking either 2 or 4 north to 65 and then to 71. Your other option is to take rt 1 past Jerusalem to the Jordan Valley and then 90 north to Beit Shean.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving on route 6 as a toll road

To add to what Oreet said,

a. If you use route 6 twice, once in December and once in January the rental agency will be billed twice, you will be billed twice and you will pay TWO 50NIS ( approx) surcharges.

Also, be aware it is not like the EZPass lanes in NY, or the outbound Verezanno Bridge where you are driving slowly past a toll booth. The transponders are overhead and you go under them at normal highway speed.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,409 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving on route 6 as a toll road

The toll from Tel-Aviv to the northern end of Hwy 6 (Kesem to Ein Tut) is 32.50 NIS. the rental company will add the 50 NIS monthly fee mentioned by the others.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving on route 6 as a toll road

Might I add that there is no option for cash payment on roaf 6. No need to use this road from Tel Aviv to Beit Shean as already mentioned especially during rush hour.

Chana

Israel

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving on route 6 as a toll road

Thank you all for the helpful info!

6. Re: driving on route 6 as a toll road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 06:18