We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

Hi I have posted some questions before but now I am almost ready to book flights and accommodation. I am a solo female travelling to Jordan and Israel for 3 weeks next year. I plan on doing an 8 day tour as part of a group tour around Jordan and will be flying into Jordan with Jordanian Airlines.

The tour will finish in Madaba with a possible transfer back to Amman Airport however I will need to cross into Israel from Madaba to either Jerusalem or Eilat, which is the best and easiest option? Plus how do I actually do it? Really confused on this.

I will then spend 4 nights in Jerusalem and 3 nights in Eilat followed by 4 nights in Tel Aviv where I will then fly back to the UK from.

Which is the best way round to do this? And how do I travel from each of the places to the next i.e will public transport be straight forward or will I need to book in advance?

I will post a similar question in the Jordan forum regarding the crossing to Israel

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

You can either go through the Allenby bridge which is a bit cumbersome and time consuming but the closest to Jerusalem, or the Sheikh Hussein Bridge which is near Beit Shean. There is transportation from Allenby but only taxis from Beit Shean. If you are traveling in the north of Israel you may want to start there. There is excellent public transportation throughout the country (a bit less convenient in some of the northern areas, but doable for a single person to get around with some planning).

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

Buses to and from Eilat should be booked in advance. You can do this by telephone (online is possible only in Hebrew) from about two weeks before you want to travel. You can see the timetable at www.egged.co.il/eng. It's for only seven days in advance, updated daily. The phone number is +972-3-6948888.

It would make more sense to go to Eilat before Jerusalem. Cross from Jordan to Israel at the Aqaba/Eilat crossing, which is much quicker and more efficient than the Allenby (King Hussein) Bridge, which is notorious for long delays. Then when you are ready to leave Eilat take the bus to Jerusalem. From Jerusalem to Tel Aviv buses go every 10-15 minutes. Just turn up and get on the next bus, journey time one hour. All intercity buses have a big luggage compartment.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

If you spend your 3 days in Eilat first, then cross the border near Eilat which is a very easy crossing. You can fly back to the UK from Tel Aviv or Jerusalem as the airport is almost in between these two cities. From Eilat take the Egged bus to Jerusalem or to Tel Aviv. You have to book your ticket at egged.co.il at least one day ahead. Otherwise you do not book any ticket in advance, be it a train or bus ticket. From Tel Aviv or from Jerusalem take bus 480 to get to the other city.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

Thank you for all the info, really helpful.

However is it possible to not book the egged bus in advance as I may not have access to internet whilst over there.

Would I be able to purchase the tickets from Jerusalem bus station a few days before travelling to Eilat and at Eilat before travelling to Tel Aviv?

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

If you don't book the bus in advance you take a chance that there may not be any seats available. And there is no knowing in advance whether the bus will be full.

Yes, you can book from any central bus station in the country.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

Thank you, so for example if I crossed at the King Hussein Crossing and got a minibus or taxi on the other side to Jerusalem and made a detour on day one to the bus station I could buy a ticket to Eilat for 4 days later and then the same in Eilat for 3 days later to Tel Aviv? Just want to be sure, also do the people at bus stations speak good English i.e will they know what kind of ticket I want ect? Thank you I really appreciate all your help.

One more question do the shared minibuses take luggage too?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,500 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

Shared miibuses, with the exception of the airport route, have minimal room for luggage. It will block the aisle and be under everyone's feet - no fun at all.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

If you are already visiting Eilat, I would just cross at Eilat and from there take the bus north. This would be the most efficient way to use your time for this visit. Yes, they will speak English at the bus station.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

Yes, no problem asking for your ticket to Eilat to go on say Tuesday at 10 a.m. (or whatever) in English. You are hardly the first non-Hebrew speaking tourist to do this! And you can buy the tickets in both directions while you're in Jerusalem. You will get a printed ticket with the reservation. It may say something like Bus 2, Seat 14. There are often several buses leaving at the same time travelling in convoy (the reason you need to reserve in advance is so that the bus company knows how many buses to put on), and a staff person will direct you to the correct bus when you board.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,545 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Few Questions, Travelling To/From And Best Itinerary

If you cross over in EIlat, you make a reservation for your Eilat to Jerusalem or Eilat to Tel Aviv ticket, the day you get there. And then, a few days later you leave. If you are staying in a decent hotel, it is not necessary to go to the bus station. The hotel's front desk should be able to do it in Hebrew for you.