We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

I am pleased to report that I have completed my revisions to my noncommercial guide to Israel travel, which I am happy to send free to anyone who asks. The revisions include updates for Tel Aviv, Haifa, and Jerusalem, including new restaurant and hotel options, but the main change is a great expanded section on travel to Eilat and Petra/Wadi Rum, since I went there for the first time on this trip. I also added information in the section on the central Negev, including some very different lodging options. As a result, it has gone from 56 pages to 59, and that's with cutting some other stuff (like any mention of the Dan Gardens Haifa, which continues to disappoint).

So, for all of you who have been asking -- and whom I have been encouraging to wait until January -- I beat my own deadline by a few days. :-) Feel free to e-mail me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send you a .pdf file copy via return e-mail.

Please note: DO NOT send me a message through the Trip Advisor message system asking for it. I cannot send file attachments through that system, and will NOT take the time to copy your e-mail address over to my e-mail program. I gets tons of requests for this -- I just sent out 30 or so in the past couple of hours -- and I do not have time to copy and paste e-mail addresses. So, like a good traveler, please follow instructions. :-)

Douglas Duckett

P.S. When I say finished, of course, my perfectionist self will no doubt continue to re-read, make minor corrections and edits, etc., but the meat is there and ready to go.

Baha'i Gardens and Golden Dome
Sacred & Religious Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Garden of Gethsemane
Historic Sites, Gardens
International Center Mary of Nazareth
Lookouts, Ancient Ruins, Sacred & Religious Sites, Gardens, Churches & Cathedrals
Ramat HaNadiv
Scenic Walking Areas, Lookouts, Gardens, Monuments & Statues
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,242 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

Good stuff Douglas. Still got the old one saved here somewhere. This board is very lucky to have someone like you around.

If you ever in NYC and in need of company please dont hesitate to contact me.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

I read it this morning. Truly remarkable. Thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

Thanks, Shoshi! And you as well, Ziggy.

By the way, Ziggy, your dining thread is still cited often on here. We need you to go back to update a foodie's view of Israel!

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

Ziggy, we will be in NYC twice for longer visits in the spring, including in early May when I will be there for a week while my partner is in continuing medical education meetings most of the day. I've never been to Staten Island, so I may take you up on that.

In what may bode well for tourism to Israel in the coming year, I'm getting lots of requests for the guide! And now that that editing job is done -- while I enjoy it, it's quite the time-consuming project -- I'll be back on the forum more regularly.

And I can start planning my late ay trip with Brett. :-)

Douglas Duckett

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,242 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

Sure thing Douglas. Staten Island is beautiful that time of the year. Or should I say more beautiful. I also started conducting free private food tours of Hell's Kitchen if you and Bret are interested. PM me when the time comes

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

Brett's eyes lit up when I read to him about the food tour. :-) I'll be in touch.

Now, back to topic. :-) But it gave me the chance to bump this up for those who might be interested in the revised version of the guide.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

Bumping this up since some people use the New Year for trip planning. However you do it, come visit Israel in 2014!

Douglas Duckett

8. Re: Revised, noncommercial Israel travel guide -- now available

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:18