We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

I am trying to figure out the most efficient (time and cost-wise) to do this. I will be in Jerusalem and travelling to the Galillee area by rental car so it makes sense to use the northern crossing to enter Jordan. On my return, I want to get to Tel Aviv.

To cross into Jordan at the northern border, I reckon I have two choices - a) drop the car off in Tiberias and take a taxi to the border, or b) drive to the border and park the car there.

With option (a), I can return via Allenby and take a sherut to Tel Aviv (do they go directly to Tel Aviv from the border?) or take the Trust International Transport bus from Amman to Tel Aviv (I've read about this but it's hard to get up-to-date info on whether this line is still operating).

With option (b), I will have to return by the northern border, then drive to Tel Aviv.

I have no problems with transportation on the Jordan side as I plan to hire a car and driver.

Am I correct to assume that option (b) will be significantly faster and not materially more expensive? I may have to pay $100+ rental for the car to sit in the parking lot for 4-5 days (is it even possible to do this and how much will parking cost?), it would not be significantly more than the taxi fare from Tiberias plus sherut fares for 2 persons to Tel Aviv.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

I would opt for returning the car in Tiberias, taking the bus to Beit Shean and a taxi from there to the border. It is ridiculous to leave a rented car in the middle of nowhere for so many days. When you return via Allenby bridge, expect delays. Take a sherut (shared taxi) or regular taxi if available to Jerusalem and from there the bus to Tel Aviv. Do not take a sherut from there to Tel Aviv as there is no room for luggage and people get off and on along the way, so if you have luggage this will make it difficult for them.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

As Chana wrote there is no reason to leave the car at the border, in addtion to cost, there is no official safekeeping garage there. Expect delays on the way back via Alenbi bridge (King Hussein bridge).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

To add to what Chana wrote about bus from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, if you choose to go that way:

The shared taxi from the Allenby Bridge to Jerusalem will take you to the Damascus Gate. From there you take the light rail (tram) in the direction of Mount Herzl (buy your ticket on the station platform), and get off at the central bus station. Buses to Tel Aviv go every 10-15 minutes from inside the central bus station.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. Note your advice on not parking the car and also the delays at Allenby.

I do want to avoid public transportation options requiring multiple legs as I want to minimise travel time - it seems like these options involve almost full days of travelling so I would waste 2 days out of a 10 day trip.

So, I would rather pay more for direct transfers as long as it is not prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know how much for a taxi from Tiberias to and from Sheikh Hussein crossing? And, how long does it take?

How about taxi from crossing to Tel Aviv? Is this even possible?

Thanks.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

Despite the official statement by the border authorities that "there is a taxi rank at the Terminal – Israel Taxis, that provides special transport services to all parts of the country" - there is no such service, Your best choice will be to take a special taxi from the bridge to Jerusalem ( Abdo Tel. 02-6283281) and from Jerusalem to Tel-Aviv with a different special taxi.

6. Re: Crossing by land to Jordan and back.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:17