We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Herod the Great: The King’s Final Journey

Switzerland
Level Contributor
757 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Herod the Great: The King’s Final Journey

The exhibition ended on 04.01.2014. Does someone know, what happens now with the artefacts? I heard that at least some of them will be showed close to the Herodium.

I've seen the exhibition and was fascinated. For 2015 I plan to bring friends to Israel. It would be nice to show them this exhibition.

Thank you for helping.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Herod the Great: The King’s Final Journey

It's not clear at this point. There was talk about making a permanent exhibition at Herodium but we shall have to wait and see.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,267 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Herod the Great: The King’s Final Journey

The artifacts will return to where they were previously displayed. The parts of the tomb will most likely be returned to Herodion. The capitals/columns be put back in their previous exhibits elsewhere in the museum. The only thing that I couldn't tell you is the reconstruction of the royal room which is closed to the public due to the sensitivity of the frescoes and stucco.

Chana

Israel

Switzerland
Level Contributor
757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Herod the Great: The King’s Final Journey

Wow, two answers in 10 minutes! Thank you very much.

Would it be possible, to update me (and others) about that?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,031 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Herod the Great: The King’s Final Journey

To see the heritage of King Herod one can tour the main sites. The exhibition was a summary, but not the real thing. Casearia, Massada, Herodion and the Kotel Tunnels are the glorious remains of his heritage. What was extraordinary in the exhibition was the Royal Room and has to be displayed under special conditions. It is also striking to see how much the Royal Room is similar to the preserved rooms of Livia in one of the museums in Rome, Italy from the same era.

Edited to add - In Casearia, not on the beach, the Recanatti Museum. It has two pavilions. In the one dedicated to South American art is a small display of finding from the sunken harbor belonging the Herod's times. The display is interesting and so is the museum. This is a "off-the-beaten" track site.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 11:30
5. Re: Herod the Great: The King’s Final Journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19