We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sephardic synagogues around old city?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Sephardic synagogues around old city?

I am looking for a English-friendly Sephardic synagogue around the old city for Friday night and Saturday morning services. The reason I am asking for English friendly is that I can read Hebrew but I need English translation side by side to fully understand what I am reading!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

It is unlikely that you will find Siddurim with English translations. There are a few shuls in Jerusalem, mainly affiliated with the liberal movements, that do have some but I am not aware of any Sephardic synagogues that would have this. If you regularly attend a Sephardic Shul in LA, could you not borrow a siddur with translation and bring it with you? You could also contact this shul as they have a website in English with a phone number and see if they could accommodate your request jerusalemgreatsynagogue.com/EN_SephardicSyna…

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,737 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

Bring your own siddur and go to any Sephardic shul you choose. You may want to try one of the Four Sephardic Synagogues in the Old City. All open to the public for davening. Note that most Sephardic Synagogues start davening early on Shabbat(and during tge week). So when you have made your choice go physically to check davening times.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

As far as I know there are no Anglo synagogues in the Old City. ( they are the only ones that *might* have a siddur with English-Hebrew.) There is also not always English translated Siddurim at the Kotel. YOu can buy a small siddur for $15-$20. Seeing you are in LA, I know there are Judaica stores in the city.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

B.Y.O.S. (Bring Your Own Siddur).

:-)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

I can only reinforce what was said - if you need a bilingual siddur bring it with you - the odds of your finding one in shul here are less than zero.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

Re: Oreets's comment above:

For the benefit of others who may be reading this thread:

Many shuls in Jerualem *do* have siddurs with English translations (usually ArtScroll or Koren). But most of these shuls are Ashkenazi. You can find siddurs with English translations at the Great Synagogue, the Jeshurun Synagoue, and many other shuls catering to tourists or the local English-speaking population.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 06:31
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

Not being Jewish, I don't know whether you are allowed to use smartphones on Shabbat but there are quite a few smartphone apps with Siddurs on and some claim to have them in all Jewish traditions. It might save you carrying a book with you, if this means is acceptable to you, and if you find one that suits you.

[it isn't acceptable then just write me off as an ignorant, well meaning, trying to be helpful, Gentile ;) ]

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

Thanks for that info - since I usually try to be home for Shabbat (and my small town has only Hebrew siddurim in shul) I wasn't aware of that - and it's a wonderful service that there are English siddurim available. -

Edited: 19 January 2014, 06:50
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

Definitely bring your own siddur but there are for sure English speakers in the Spanish and Portuguese congregation at the Istambuli Synagogue in the Old City. Their website is here:

http://www.sandpjerusalem.org

Heather - a lovely suggestion but it's not appropriate to use a phone app in a synagogue on Shabbat.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sephardic synagogues around old city?

Heather, I can't think of a single synagogue where a smartphone would be appropriate on Shabbat. A nice idea but a totally impractical app in my opinion. The link I gave at the beginning is at the Great Synagogue ( an Ashkenazi shul) who does have a Sephardi minyan on a regular basis. They do have a website targeting tourists in Israel, that is why I thought there might be an off-chance they would have a bilingual siddur. Not likely but worth an email. For practical purposes, it just seems that bringing your own would solve this issue completely.