We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

beaumont tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

We wanted to have a leisure drive on our way back from up north to Jerusalem and wanted to know if the drive was straight forward enough to drive back in the dark if we lingered? Thoughts?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

The drive is straight but route 90 is mostly dark. So, if you are comfortable driving in such conditions--go for it!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

Depends on the route and your driving confidence. Some of the roads to the north/east of the Kinneret are hilly zigzags, and very difficult night driving. The drive south from Tiberias is fairly straightforward, although route 90 through the Jordan valley can be isolated. Route 1 to Jerusalem is fine in the evening. If possible I'd aim to get to route 1 before it gets fully dark outside - also because the drive down through the Jordan valley is very beautiful with great views, but will be long and boring in the dark.

beaumont tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

Great info, thanks!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,737 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

I would forgo driving via route 90 in the dark. There are no street lights and the road is very curvey and hilly. You would be best driving back on the main roads -- road 77 to 71 then onto road 6 or road 2 and east on road 1

Chana

Israel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

I agree with that advice. I have driven the route several times in daylight and would not want to at night.

Douglas Duckett

beaumont tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

Thanks Chana and Douglas :) I think we will follow that advice.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

Here's another vote for taking rt. 90 - even at night - you are the only ones who can decide if it fits within your comfort zone - true the road is not straight as a ruler, and there are no street lights, but I'm sure you've driven on such two lane roads in the past and if you are okay with that, then there is no reason not to drive rt. 90 at night - especially if it fits your plans.

beaumont tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

Always good to have all view points. We live in a rural area so driving on dark narrow roads is not out of the norm. We will probably play it by ear. We may be done touring early….

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

If you live in a rural area and are used to dark roads then you will laugh and wonder why there was ever a question. I cheated and looked on google maps before responding--which only reinforced the answer I was planning on writing.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving back at night from Kinneret to Jerusalem

I join Chana and Douglas, use the main roads as Chana outlined. Driving route 90 during the dark is spooky, and can be very much so if you have a flat tire or something similar.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 21:24