We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit card in Israel

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Debit card in Israel

Hi, I know that you can use your debit card in Israel to get money out of an ATM, but I'm wondering if the card needs to have the VISA logo on it. Most regular bank card in Canada dont have it, I just want to make sure before my trip.

Also does anyone know if I need to do some type of authorization with my bank in order for the card to work?

Thank you

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit card in Israel

Your debit card needs either the interac or cirrus symbol on it. All the major Canadian banks are connected to these systems. Some of the smaller credit unions might not.

Before you travel you can just stop into your bank and ask the tellers to flag your account to say that you are out of the country on certain days. Some banks allow you to do this through internet banking. You should also call your credit card company and let them know you are going to be out of the country.

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit card in Israel

Thank you very much for your reply.

Let me ask you another question

Is it better to do bus tours or rent a car?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,481 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit card in Israel

That is a question that only you can answer - only you know what your style of travel is.

Renting a car gives you a lot more flexibility and you can set your own pace, go where you want even if it is a site that is not on the regular tours. It is easy to tour on your own, if you are comfortable with that. On the other hand some people prefer an organized group with a guide - its' really up to you.

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Debit card in Israel

Yes you are right, I like the flexibility of renting the car, waiting and leaving early to catch the bus is probably no the best idea, I'm just afraid I will get lost but I'm sure with a map you could get around. Thank you so much for your advise

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,778 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debit card in Israel

I will add that for some major parts of the country -- the North and the Negev -- it is simply not at all practical to tour and explore the country by public bus. In the Galilee, for example, many of the national parks and historic and religious sites are not accessible by bus. For there, you need either to drive, take a group tour, or hire a driving guide.

You won't want or need a rental car in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem, where a car is a liability and an enormous hassle. But in the countryside, it's easy and the best way to go in my view.

Douglas Duckett

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debit card in Israel

If you are from Ottawa, you will find driving in Israel much easier than driving in Montreal! Israeli drivers are not patient drivers but it is not hard to drive in Israel and road signs in English. Driving in the Negev and the Galilee is very straight forward. One hint, flashing green means slow down and prepare to stop (more like a yellow light for our way of driving), that was one traffic rule that threw me off as it means something different here.

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Debit card in Israel

Thank you very much for the reply and the green light tip. I would of been confused too.

It tourns out that the hotel charges more than the rental car per day for parking, I was going to get a great deal for the car at $20 per day but the hotel wants to charge $50 per day for parking which is insane.

I'm gonna have to figure something else out

Edited: 26 January 2014, 17:07
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debit card in Israel

Which hotel and where? You do not need a car while in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem.

I also do not think you are going to rent a car for $20 a day. That sounds like a price BEFORE the mandatory insurance is added. Where are you getting that price from?

Edited: 26 January 2014, 20:01
Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Debit card in Israel

Yes of course i have to pay for the insurance as well. I got the quote from hotwire and i'm only paying $20 per day for the car

I'm going to stay at lev jerusalem

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debit card in Israel

Do you know what the insurance will cost. You realize it could be MORE than the car! What company is hotwire hooking you up with?

AND how many nights are you planning on having the car in Jerusalem. You do not need it there!