We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

dallas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

I just realized we will be in Israel during Yom Hazikaron as well as Yom HaAtzmaut. Anything we need to know about closings,crowds etc? We are planning on picking up a car and driving from Jerusalem to Masada on Yom Kazikaron ( May the 5th, a Monday). Will that be a problem? We will be touring the Masada area on the 5,6, and returning to Jerusalem on the 7th. Thoughts?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

Everything will be open as usual on Remembrance Day until the afternoon, with the exception of places of entertainment and restaurants. Car rental offices will be open at least until early afternoon, when along with many other places they will start to close for Independence Day.

From mid-afternoon onwards there will be a lot of traffic on the roads as people get an early start on the Independence Day holiday. Masada closes at 3 on holiday eves, and that will include May 5.

At 8 p.m. on the evening of Remembrance Day (May 4) and again at 11 a.m. on May 5 there will be a siren for a two-minute silence. Everything stops then. Cars stop on the roads (many people get out of their cars and stand in the street), and pedestrians stand in silence.

dallas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

So will the National Parks be closed on Yom HaAtzmaut ( the 6th of May, I believe)? I looked on the National Park website and it just mentioned that they close early on the eve of a holiday? I would assume they would be closed?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

They will be open on Yom Ha'atzmaut. They will also be very crowded! They only day national parks are closed is Yom Kippur.

dallas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

So if we were leaving Jerusalem on the morning of May 5th, how would you arrange the National parks below to avoid crowds? We are staying at Masada Hostel May 5th and 6th returning to Jerusalem on May 7th.

Be’er Shiva

Tel Arad

Mamshit

Dead Sea

En Gedi

Qumran

Masada

I cant all of you how much I appreciate your help!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

Do them in the order that makes most sense geographically. Be prepared to find when you get to one or another that it is full to capacity and no more visitors will be allowed in.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

You shouldn't run into problems with crowds on the 5th - just keep in mind that there will be siren at 11 am - wherever you are you will see people stop in their tracks, stop mid sentence and stand at attention until the siren is over. If you are on the road - cars will pull over to the side and drivers will get out to stand next to the car - cars, trucks, etc. It is almost surrealistic. When the siren is over everything goes back to normal.

The 6th is the day when just about everything will be crowded - so just be prepared for that.

A note regarding the 4th - restaurants will be closed that evening, except for those in hotels - so you will need to make sure you have made arrangements for supper - get take out in advance, pick up some bread and sandwich makings at a market, etc.

dallas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

Thanks Shuffaluff and Oreets.

Oreets, Do you think some of the parks I listed will be more crowded on the 6th than others? Possibly do Tel Arad, Be’er Shiva etc on the 6th saving Masada, EinGedi,Qumran and Dead Sean for the morning of the 5th and 7th??Am I wrong for thinking those parks may not be as popular ?Or is EVERYTHING just crowded?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

Of all the parks you listed Masada and Ein Gedi are the most popular - if you can arrange your route so that you don't visit there on the 6th - Independence Day, it will probably work out better.

dallas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

Thanks Oreet! Thats exactly what I was thinking. We do not mind juggling if it will make our time at Masada etc. a little less chaotic.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Israel during Solider Remembrance Day/

The Dead Sea isn't a national park. Assuming you want to go for a quick dip - which is as much as any normal person would want to do - you can do it at any one of the authorized bathing places (and nowhere else), north to south: Kalya, Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi, Ein Bokek. Ein Gedi will be the most crowded on Independence Day.