We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

I have read various questions and responses and I'm impressed with the level of information that is provided; however, now I have more questions.

My husband and I will be traveling to Israel. ALL of our reservations are flexible. Tentatively, I have 5 days and 4 nights planned in Jerusalem. Checking out of Jerusalem and staying two nights in the Tiberias area, then heading West to the Haifa area for a night, before heading back to Tel Aviv. We are very flexible with what we would like to do and see. Some of our interests include making wine, so I was thinking a winery tour would be nice. We both really like archaeological sites, so I was thinking of getting several of those in the itinerary. I think I have a really good idea of what we are going to do in Jerusalem and can cut that section of the trip by a night so that we have more time heading North. We are both athletic, so walking, hiking, climbing are not issues. I need suggestions. Where is a good base of operations for the "North Tour"? What is the best form of travel; car rental, bus, private cab? (My thoughts were lugging around luggage...) What are great things to see/do? What are the "don't miss" items that I should be including?

Any help is greatly appreciated! We have a decent budget and like nice things, but at the same time, we don't mind saving a dime to add to our next adventure! Neither of us speak Hebrew. We are great adventurers though. We don't mind navigating on our own.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Desert Prime
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Eyal Korin- Ramon Crater Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Adam Sela
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,410 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

The best is to rent a car for the part of touring out of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. You plan looks fine. As for your questions they are too vague, please ask more specific ones.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 02:42
Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

For your trip north, rent a car. You will be able to so much more and it is cost effective to travel this way. Some of the sites you may like to consider to visit in the upper Galilee and Golan, Tel Dan, Banias, Nimrod's Castle, Katzrin Talmudic Village, Gamla, as a start. There are some terrific wineries in this area as well including the Golan Winery, Galil Winery (our favourite) and the Rimon Winery which makes wine from pomegranates. There are towns in this area to explore including Rosh Pina and Tzfat. Other sites include Tel Hai, the Agamon Nature Reserve where you can rent bikes to see the animals and birds. Beit Shean is a huge site just south of the Kinneret. One of the wonderful things I have done is a horseback ride on the Golan through the Ramot Ranch. The sunset ride overlooking the Kinneret is just stunning. You can also do ATVing in the Galilee or a off-road jeep tour of the Golan.

There are so many different places to stay. The most upscale and 'nice' complete with a lovely spa is Hotel Pastural at Kibbutz Kfar Blum. It is expensive but a great hotel. Other places that are nice but in various price points include Kibbutz HaGoshrim, Vered HaGalil, Ramot Ranch, Ein Gev Holiday Village, Kibbutz Nof Ginosar and many, many B & B's called zimmers.

Mentioned in this post
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Tel Dan
Tel Dan
162 Reviews
Galilee, Israel
Rosh Pina
Rosh Pina
Beit She'an
Beit She'an
Kinneret
Kinneret
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,426 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

Just to add on anmejoshme suggestions on wineries.

Galil Mountain Winery is located in Kibbutz Yiron which is not far from Rimon Winery in Dalton industrial zone. Next to Rimon you can find Dalton Winery and Adir Winery.

The area south of Haifa - Zichron Yaakov and Binyamina has also some excellent wineries such as Tishbi Estate Winery.

Further south is the area of Beit Shemesh and Judean Hills with wineries like Tzora.

Even in the Negev you have very good wineries such as Carmey Har Hanegev just north of Mitzpe Ramon

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Zichron Yaakov
Zichron Yaakov
Haifa District, Israel
Beit Shemesh
Beit Shemesh
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

Thank you so much! I will probably add a lot of this to my itinerary! And yes, getting a car seems to be popular belief for most flexible travel. Again, thank you!

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

We were at the Golan winery this summer and thought that it was an excellent choice for wine officionados. We had been to a few other wineries previously, and this one stood out for it's quality wine tasting.

Also, in the Talmudic Village in kKatzrin, we made our own wine the old-fashioned way: stomping with our bare feet.

6. Re: Visiting Israel in May. NEED HELP...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:17