We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

My hotels are all booked for my return trip in May -- my 13th but Brett's first return visit since 1999! This will be a little shorter and focused on cities (except for our two days at the Beresheet Hotel on the lip of the Makhtesh Ramon -- a HUGE splurge for me, but I'm spoiling Brett). So I think that like the last trip, I will do this all with public transportation and forgo a rental car. I need to save some money somewhere to pay for the Beresheet! :-)

On a Thursday, I will need to get from Mitzpe Ramon to Jerusalem. Would www.bus.co.il be my best bet? And do people have a sense about how far out those routes and times are accurate? If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Bus ticket Mitzpeh Ramon -> Be'er Sheva: 17.80 NIS per person. Prefer buses #64 and #65 over #60, if possible (ride is shorter).

Bus ticket Be'er Sheva -> Jerusalem: 31.50 NIS per person. Prefer direct bus #470 (#446 to Jerusalem goes through cities and off main highways).

Total for two persons is 98.60 NIS.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Fares per person:

Mitzpe Ramon to Beersheva - I can't find fares listed on the Metropoline website. It was NIS 17 in November 2012, and fares went up by a small amount in January 2014, so it should be less NIS 18.

Beersheva to Jerusalem - NIS 31.50.

So for one person, around 51 shekels, and for two about NIS 102.

Edited to ask Amos where he found the exact fare for future reference (or perhaps you did it recently, Amos?)

Edited: 31 January 2014, 11:39
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Fares - two options:

1) Metropoline bus company website ( Metropoline.com ) - search for the bus route and you get fares.

2) Israel's Ministry of Transportation official public transportation information website (has all companies like bus.co.il - only official) - (unfortunately currently only in Hebrew) - search for the route, and in the pop-up window that shows you the bus/train times, select a ride and click on the link on the bottom of that pop-up window saying "The fare for the selected ride".

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Amos--can you post the link for the Ministry of Transportation public transportation info website. I, like I am sure others can read it--but have difficulty finding it.

thanks

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

Well, its a Thursday - the traffic busy day like Sunday. Even if the car costs a bit more, go for it. Schlepping luggage on two buses and a taxi to your hotel (maybe another bus?). Too much hassle.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

I'm thinking the same way, Shoshi. I went ahead and booked the Eldan car -- that's a great rate (LI only), and I can always cancel it. A friend read the thread and sent me an e-mail -- "Do you really want to leave the luxury of the Beresheet (by far the most expensive and luxurious hotel I have booked) and then deal with two buses and two central bus stations with luggage?" :-) She has a point. I'm trying to spoil Brett a bit -- and thank him as I approach retirement from public service for being there for me and supporting through my traumatic job transition in 2009, including telling me to go to Israel that fall when I was functionally unemployed. So, he deserves better than a crowded bus.

Thanks again, all!

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 31 January 2014, 13:48
israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

If you are driving from Mizpe Ramon to Jerusalem why not make the drive interesting? How about a wine tour on the way? You could tour Emek Ha'Ela that has many wineries and several restaurants. My personal experience is limited to Tal Ha-Shahar and Zor'a but I am sure that our friends on the forum will add more information and ideas. This is a link to one of the websites on the subject http://www.yoav-exp.co.il/

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

That's a great idea, Shoshi -- at least for Brett. I have to drive. :-) I also thought I might show him ha-Makhtesh ha-Katan, which is by far the loveliest of the maktheshim.

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

ha-Makhtesh ha-Katan is beautiful but you'll have desert for 2-3 days so it might be too much. Drive on route 40 and later on route 6 to Kiriyat Gat (free till there) and drive north-east for the wineries. Maybe a new thread is due for this.

dallas
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Upcoming May trip -- and bus travel

I vote for a new thread about wineries :)