We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to St George's Monastery

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Road to St George's Monastery

I have read previous post related to this road, leading off the main road between Jerusalem-Jericho. We don't have much time, but I would love to make a quick de-tour down the windling road to the car park. Is it actually possible to see the Monastery from the car park, or would we have to leave the car and walk a bit to actually see the "famous" view of the Monastery down in the valley? How long would it take to drive to the view point, take a few photos and then back on to Rt1 again?

We will be driving in my Israeli friend's car, She feels very reluctant to go down there as she is afraid people might throw stones at the car or it would be risky in other ways being in an Israeli car. I have read the area is under full Israeli controll, but she is still afraid. Have you heard of any attacks or other trouble to Israeli cars going down that way to the view point?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,702 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

Technically there should be no problem driving there. But if your friend does not usually drive in Judea and Samaria it may feel a bit daring on her part. Can't say nothing ever happens, but since it is a remote location, it is probably very quiet.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,141 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

Not far off of Highway 1, there is a great viewpoint where you can see St. George's. In my view, it's better than trying to go further in and get closer, but the view is spectacular. I can't remember the details -- I'm hoping someone can -- but as I recall you exit at Mitzpe Yericho, go to the left and up a hill, and there is a black cross atop the hill that makes the overlook. Can someone else help with more detailed directions to that spot?

Douglas Duckett

dallas
Level Contributor
440 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

I had copied and pasted this onto a word document for myself to take with us on our trip in May. I got the directions from another post on this forum but I cant remember the name of the post to give credit to who originally posted it.

Going on Hwy 1 eastbound (from Jerusalem towards Jericho), take the turn at the intersection to Mitzpe Yericho (located slightly east of Khan of the Good Samaritan). Upon taking the turn from hwy 1, make a left following signs to Wadi Kelt and the Monastery (turning right will take you to Mitzpe Yericho). After about 100 meters you'll see a T junction, on which you should make a right. Continue with the road for about 5 minutes drive (drive carefully, winding road).

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

I was in Israel last May and went out to see the Monastery while touring around Jericho. There are a couple places to pull off for a good view. When driving you will see a small hill with a cross on the top and there will be a pull out before it as well as after it. If you stop at the first pullout you will have to walk up the hill a little ways towards the cross in order to get a view of the Monastery. If you stop at the second pullout, which came complete with several Bedouins who will try to sell you plastic jewellery and other trinkets, there is a path to walk you around the corner and you end up basically right above it. If it helps I believe these are the GOOGLE MAPS coordinates of the main pullout.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

This thread also offers some guidance. There is a google maps link in one of the comments with turn by turn directions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k654…

England, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

Although I have only walked to the Monastery of St George of Choziba (along Wadi al-Qelt from Jericho) the directions to the look-out/parking area seen correct. From there it is a 15 minute walk (or donkey ride) down a well paved path/steps and a sturdy bridge to the monastery (open 8am -12noon, 3pm – 5pm., Saturdays morning only; conservative dress essential). If time is tight I would recommend walking a little way down the path as the angle of view changes and becomes even more spectacular.

ALSO close by (signposted just before you reach the main road) is the Islamic shrine of Nabi Musa (‘burial place of the prophet Moses) – also IMO worth a quick visit.

Mentioned in this post
Moses
Moses
287 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
441 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

Use the link and comments I posted on the thread mentioned in reply number 5 above.

If you stop at the cross, you need to walk about 100 meters away from your car to get to the cliff's edge and see the monastery. Not far, but no line of sight to your car. If you continue to the second (and closer) viewpoint, you need to walk for about 200 meters away from your car (again- no line of sight).

If you're anxious, stick with the cross viewpoint. Also, there may be many other people there so you'll feel more at ease.

It's 5 km/15 minutes of slow driving from the highway to the viewpoint.

8. Re: Road to St George's Monastery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:20