We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

I am specifically looking for something that covers the time of the division of Israel ( Rehoboam and Jeroboam) and how the Northern prophets (Elijah and Elisha) and the Southern prophets (Isaiah and Jeremiah) came into play. Preferably a Jewish source. Do you guys know anything like that?

I’ll aslo take any other suggestions on books related to Israel’s History :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,932 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

By "Israel's history" do you mean only the biblical period, or the history of the modern State of Israel as well? These are obviously vastly different topics.

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

Preferably Biblical. I have several books on the modern history as well as the first Temple period :)

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

Sorry, that should have read Second Temple period.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

I'm not sure if this exactly fits the bill, and it may be a bit out of date from the point of view of the latest archaeological finds, but you could try "The Oxford History of the Biblical World", edited by Michael Coogan of Harvard. Not specifically from a Jewish point of view, but the chapters are by prominent biblical scholars.

I don't believe there is much about the role of the prophets ---- for that you might want one of the standard books on prophecy in the Bible

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

You could try Binyamin Lau on Jeremiah:

amazon.com/Jeremiah-Binyamin-Lau/…

I haven't read it, but he is a very well respected rabbi/scholar and the original Hebrew versions of his books are hugely popular in Israel.

The page also gives a recommendation of a book on the Book of Kings by Alex Israel, who is another respected Jewish educator:

amazon.com/Kings-Torn-Studies-Tanakh-Maggid/…

http://www.alexisrael.org/#!i-kings-torn-in-two/c1vw1

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

Thanks avaigail9 and ItalophileNJ! I will look into both.

We will be going to Tel Dan this time and of course the City of David etc, and im really wanting to put them historically into context. The Bible is always good :) but sometimes (Isaiah for example) things are not in chronological order and it would be nice to be able to read the history of this time in a chronological stream if you will, as opposed to skipping around :)

Again, thank you both so much.

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

avigail9, Just looked up the two you mentioned and I think that is exactly what i’m looking for! THANKS!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

Emek Shaveh has a well-written guide to the City of David site, which seeks to offer a wide approach to the historical and contemporary layers of this site. You can download it for free from their site here:

http://alt-arch.org/en/silwan/

NB This organization is run by Israeli archaeologists who have an open agenda, stated clearly in this publication and on their website, of widening the narratives and frames through which the City of David is read, explicitly in opposition to the organization who currently manage the site, and in co-operation with local Palestinian residents. Regardless of whether your politics and theirs mesh, however, their guide is a very nice resource, which clearly sets out the kind of chronologies you mention above.

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

Again, thank you! I downloaded the book on Jeremiah and just finished chapter 1. Great so far :)

I will check out the guide.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Israel History Book Recommendations?

Tel Dan ---- I visited there in July 1993 on, so far as I can figure out, the day that Avraham Biran discovered the inscription. Who knew!

Enjoy your trip!