We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

dallas
Level Contributor
416 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

On May 6th, Yom Ha’Azmaut we are going to be staying at Masada. From what I understand all of the parks will be very busy. We will be at the Masada Guest house for several days so we were thinking of doing some driving on the 6th to other National Parks to possibly miss some of the more crowded ones. So for the locals or the others on the board that spend a lot of time in Israel which of these parks ( or combination of parks;and in what order) would you do on May 6th to avoid some of the crowds?

Tel Arad

Be’er Sheva

Mamshit

Timna (I know Timna is a long way and would probably only do this park)

If there is any other suggestion I am wide open. I also want to take traffic into consideration. Best times to NOT be on the road etc.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

I don't anticipate over-crowding at any of the national parks in the Negev that you've mentioned during Yom Ha'Atzmaut. Independence Day is a big picnic and BBQ day for local Israelis. Many would prefer the parks in the north and those with a water feature. I think you'll be OK if you spend that day at any of these places in the south.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

I don't think any of them will be incredibly overcrowded. With the exception of Beersheva (I assume you mean Tel Beersheva national park) none is really near a major population centre. Most local people drive to the closest spot where they can set up a barbecue (even on a patch of grass next to a highway - you have to see it to believe it!).

http://msc.wcdn.co.il/w/f-466/1252582-5.jpg

And since barbecues are not allowed in national parks, that will reduce the numbers considerably.

Timna is huge, and even if there are hundreds of people there (unlikely) you will have plenty of space.

Don't plan on doing too much driving on that day. It can be nose-to-tail traffic jams all the way.

dallas
Level Contributor
416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

Thank you so much davetheguide and Shuffaluff! How do you think traffic will be between Masada and Mamshit and Tel Arad? Oh, and Shuffaluff yes, I did intend to say Tel Beersheva :)

dallas
Level Contributor
416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

Love the pic Shuffaluff :) And to correct myself yet again the above should have read “ from Masada TO Tel Arad and then to Mamshit :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

Again, I don't anticipate massive traffic on the roads you referred to. These aren't areas considered appropriate for the barbecues that Israelis typically enjoy on Independence Day. The area of the country you've selected will be one of the quieter areas on this holiday.

dallas
Level Contributor
416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

Thank you so much David :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

There is usually less traffic in the Negev on this day, however, there is no promise that you will not encounter heavy traffic on the roads or in any of the parks. This is a holiday where many people take advantage of traveling throughout the country and not only in the north. Last year we went to a secluded place, or so I thought, and found that it was difficult to turn into the parking lot, let alone find a spot and have room to have a picnic. Don't plan on no crowds anywhere.

Chana

Israel

8. Re: Yom Ha’Azmaut: Which Parks For LESS Crowds, HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:17