We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

The week before Easter we will be flying into Israel. We will be staying four days before driving to Petra. We haven't got a hotel yet and we are looking at maybe the Leonardo in Jerusalem. It will be my wife and I and our son and his wife.Thinking on staying in Jerusalem and seeing Bethlehem and Galilee and whatever else we can pack in,We are so open for ideas on what to do and how to do it....Trip Adviserians have never let me down, Thanks, Jack from California :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Four days is such a short time period for Israel - yes, base yourself in Jerusalem. I would suggest limiting yourself to Jerusalem with the following additions - take a one day tour to Masada, the Dead Sea and Ein Gedi. You can visit Bethlehem easily in half a day or so. Spend the rest of the time in Jerusalem, where there is so much to see and do.

I would reconsider staying at the Leonardo - it is a fine hotel, very large, mostly big groups stay there but it is a bit out of the way so you would need a taxi, etc. to go out to dinner, go downtown, or get just about anywhere.

In Jerusalem, tour the Old City, visit the Israel Museum and Yad VaShem. If you share what some of your interests are or which relgious focus is more important to you we can make more suggestions.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Oreets, Thank you very much. We are Christians and are interested in seeing the history of this wonderful country.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Agree with Oreets. The Leonardo is a tour bus hotel that caters to large groups. I'd suggest staying in West Jerusalem. My favorite hotel is the Mount Zion Hotel because of its unique character, but the Dan Panorama is well situated as is the lower priced Prima Royale.

You need at the very least one FULL day in the Old City of Jerusalem and another full day in the New City.

In the Old City, start your touring on the Mount of Olives, walk down the Palm Sunday Route to Gethsemane and then enter the Old City via the Lion's Gate.

In the New City, Yad Vashem is a must and if you combine that with the Israel Museum and the fantastic Machane Yehuda food market, you've got a full day right there.

Also agree with Oreets about an excursion to the Judean Desert from Jerusalem. Start at Masada, then visit Qumran (where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found). Have lunch at do your Dead Sea bathing at Qalya beach nearby.

No need to spend more than a few hours in Bethlehem. It's easy to do that via a base in Jerusalem.

Shdema, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Do you plan to rent a car or take guided tours?

With a car it is possible to almost "cross" the country in a day via Toll road 6 (however I'm not sure how rental cars are charged), so you can actually drive from Jerusalem to the Gallilee, but if you want to make the most of it, maybe stay overnight in the north, and go see both the sea of Gallilee, Kfar-Nahum, and then go to Nazereth.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Dave, Thank you so much. We are looking for a nice hotel with character close to the old city. The ones that you mention sound excellent.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 01:31
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

DrYael, thanks alot. We were thinking of getting a private guide in Jerusalem and then a car to explore about

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Don"t even think of renting a car for use inside the city of Jerusalem. For travel to the Dead Sea or Galilee a car will be essential if you wish to explore independently.

Jerusalem, Israel
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Not necessarily the same order...

Day1

Mt of olives - Ascension chapel, Pater Noster church, Panoramic view. . Walk down the Palm sunday road stopping at Dominus Flevit church (Luke19) continue to the garden of Gethsamene.

Walk the old city of Jerusalem through the way of the cross ending at the church of the Holy Sepulchre. End the day by walking to visit the last supper room on mt zion.

DAY2

Drive to Bethlehem to visit the church of the Nativity and manger square then as well dont miss the beatiful sheperds field where the angel appeared for the sheperds.

After noon choose between new city Yad vashem/isarel musuem or Ein karem where you can visit St john birth place and the visitaton church.

Day3

Drive north to nazareth for the annunciation basilica, then pass Cana to the galilee where you can visit mt of Beatitudes, Capernaum the town of Jesus, church of the multiplication and drive back to Jerusalem via Jordan valley

Day4

Drive south to masada, spend some rime floating in the dead sea and dont miss the little town of jericho where the temptation mountion and the sycamore tree are..

Best

Rami

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

Rami, I'm sure you know that one cannot drive to Bethlehem, at least not with an Israeli vehicle or rental car. Nevertheless, the tourist can easily access Bethlehem from Jerusalem using an Arab bus from Damascus Gate or a taxi and Arab driver.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Israel in four days. Itinerary help please.

The same holds true for not being able to drive an Israeli rental car into Jericho.