We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
92 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

I'm trying to finalize a 10-day itinerary for the end of May, keeping in mind timing issues related to best days of the week, and also that the only Tuesday is the day of a big birthday that will hopefully be very memorable. I've come up with 2 scenarios. Any thoughts about timing?

Itinerary #1: Good for allowing more time in Tel Aviv on the weekend, but fewer options for desired hotel that weekend in Jerusalem which seems to be getting booked up already.

Friday: Arrive in the evening, settle down in a Jerusalem Hotel

Saturday: Take a tour to Bethlehem, West Bank

Sunday: Jerusalem City Tour

Monday: Jersualem exploring on own

Tuesday (birthday): Tour to Masada, Ein Gedi, Masada, nice meal in Jerusalem

Wednesday: rent car, drive to Akko, then to Haifa. Stay in Haifa

Thursday: See a glimpse of Haifa, stop at a winery, then Caesarea on way to Tel Aviv lodging

Friday: Tel Aviv / Jaffa; enjoy nightlife

Saturday: Tel Aviv sites, relax, beach

Sunday: Tel Aviv, Bauhaus tour

Monday: depart am

Itinerary #2: Less time for Tel Aviv, particularly for nightlife, more options for desired hotel in Jerusalem

Friday: arrive in evening, enjoy nightife if not too tired after long flight from Chicago

Saturday: Tel Aviv / Relax/ Beach

Sunday: Tel Aviv / Jaffa

Monday: Tel Aviv / Bauhaus tour

Tuesday (birthday): Rent car, drive to Haifa stopping at Caesarea and winery along the way. Stay in Haifa, nice meal in Haifa

Wednesday: Drive to Akko, then drive to Jerusalem. Stay in Jerusalem

Thursday: Jerusalem City Tour

Friday: Jerusalem exploring on own

Saturday: Tour to Bethelem / West Bank

Sunday: Tour to Masada, Ein Gedi, Dead Sea

Monday: leave am

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Caesarea
Caesarea
Haifa District, Israel
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jerusalem Hotel
Jerusalem Hotel
244 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Mitzpe Ramon Jazz Club
Bars & Clubs, Jazz Clubs & Bars
HabereH Pub
Art Galleries, Bars & Clubs
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,231 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

If you share the hotel you are trying to go to, we may be able to help you find a viable alternative. It also seems to me that to plan a vacation around a hotel is not the best motivator. Your Tel Aviv days are very light, in both itineraries. I've done the Bauhaus Audio tour but I would think that the Friday AM walking tour would be better--since you can ask questions. Since you will be in Tel aviv on a Friday, I would do the tour then. Also, doing it at the beginning of a Tel Aviv stay enables you to notice and understand the many many buildings you will see that are all over Tel Aviv and NOT on the tour.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

The free Bauhaus tour is on SATURDAY morning:

visit-tel-aviv.com/….UuicZhD8JMw

I really don't see much difference between the two itineraries. The advice usually given here is to start off in Tel-Aviv and finish in Jerusalem.

Drive to north: You should pick up the car the previous afternoon so that you will be able to get a much earlier start. After Caesarea, I recommend the Amphora winery in Kerem Maharal and Schwartzmans Dairy in Bat Shlomo. You can then drive into Haifa via Mukhraka and the Druze Villages, although it will be quite late by then. You should continue on that evening to Akko and stay in a hotel there - this will save you a lot of time driving through traffic the following morning.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Caesarea
Caesarea
Haifa District, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

I like the second one better -- but as mbgg says, I strongly prefer ending my trip in Jerusalem.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,231 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

The Bauhaus Center offers a tour on FRIDAY mornings. I do not believe it is free! BUT, if you have to pay something you may end up with a small group.

http://www.bauhaus-center.com/tours.php

Mentioned in this post
Bauhaus Center Tel Aviv
Bauhaus Center Tel Aviv
213 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

I also like the second itinerary better. You won't be doing much the day you arrive and the way it is spaced will give you beach time to get over jetlag yet a good amount of time for touring. In Tel Aviv consider visiting the Hall of Independence and/or the Palmach Museum, both of which require advance reservations. There is a lot to do in Tel Aviv and you won't be bored. I like the idea of doing the birthday trip up the coast. Ceasarea has some terrific restaurants for lunch, in the ruins and next to the water. The winerys at Zichron Yaacov are also nice for a birthday. Finish off in Haifa with another special meal.

Mentioned in this post
Palmach Museum
Palmach Museum
1,072 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
6. Re: 10-day itinerary, Timing Issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:28