We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which place to use as base to visit Israel

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Topic
Which place to use as base to visit Israel

Is it better to stay at a hotel in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,278 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which place to use as base to visit Israel

It depends on what you are interested in seeing and for how long. In general you should divide up your time at least between Jerusalem and the Galilee. But if you are here for less than a week I would pick Jerusalem. Will you have a car? Do you plan on going anywhere outside the the cities you mentioned?

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,768 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which place to use as base to visit Israel

There is no one-size-fit-all answer to this question. What do you want to see in Israel? How long do you plan to stay? Do you want to see anything besides Tel Aviv and Jerusalem? (Galilee, the Dead Sea?)

Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are only one hour apart, and you can easily do a day trip from one to the other. Jerusalem has far more of interest to most tourists, with all the religious and historical sites. But for all we know, you are beach people with little or no interest in religion or history. Tel Aviv has great beaches, and Jerusalem is inland and up in the mountains, so no beaches. Jerusalem is much better for a day trip to the Dead Sea.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,629 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which place to use as base to visit Israel

I will add to Chana's excellent advice that it is a major mistake to try to tour the north in day trips from either Tel Aviv or Jerusalem unless you have no real choice. It is a 2-3 hour commute each way, potentially more in crushing traffic, from either city to the Galilee. Trying to see the north from those cities condemns you to spending much of your trip in a car and in very unpleasant traffic.

I don't know how much time you have, but an ideal trip is two weeks, broken up like this:

- Tel Aviv: 2-3 nights.

- Haifa: 2 nights.

- Tiberias or area around Lake Kinneret/Sea of Galilee: 2 nights. Note: You could combine these into 3 nights in one northern locale.

- Jerusalem: Rest of trip, with a day trip to the Dead Sea and Masada, and returning to the airport (which is not in Tel Aviv but between that city and Jerusalem) from Jerusalem.

If it would be of help in planning your trip, I would be happy to send a copy of a free, noncommercial guide to Israel travel that I offer to anyone who asks. It is a 59-page .pdf file, and I recently updated it to reflect a trip I completed in November 2013. To get it, just write me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send it as a file attachment via return e-mail. And no strings -- I am not even in the travel business.

The guide is based on my own travel experiences and as said above, I am not in the travel business, so it does not purport to be all-encompassing or a substitute for a more thorough, comprehensive, and professional guidebook. For that, I recommend either Frommer's or Fodor's, and of course, the help of this forum.

My offer goes to anyone reading this, by the way, but you must send me an e-mail, NOT a message on Trip Advisor, as I cannot send file attachments through that medium and will not copy and paste e-mail addresses over to my e-mail program. I get a lot of requests for this guide and this is not my job, so I hope you understand I need it done that way.

I hope that you have a wonderful visit!

Douglas Duckett

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which place to use as base to visit Israel

I will be taking private tours as per my other post.

Would prefer to just stay in one hotel.

We will be from 15th to 22nd May.

Are interested on the historical sites mor than the beaches

Edited: 12 March 2014, 23:38
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which place to use as base to visit Israel

Given that you want to travel through the Galilee, it does not make sense to have only one base. You will spend a huge amount of your holiday time on the road, sitting in traffic, and using travel time that could be used for touring sites. Going back and forth to the Galilee can take 5 hours a day. Same if you want to go to the Dead Sea from Tel Aviv- Israel is a small country but it is not that small that you can visit the country from only one location. Please reconsider. Based on your itinerary that you posted, you should consider staying a few days in Tel Aviv, then the Galilee and then move to Jerusalem.

6. Re: Which place to use as base to visit Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:27