We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haifa and Akko in one day

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Haifa and Akko in one day

Hello,

I have checked the rail time table for both Akko and Haifa travelling from Tel Aviv and I am thinking that I could visit both cities during the same day spending half a day in each.

Is this possible to do or do you think I would need longer to enjoy one particular city?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

Akko needs and deserves more time for this particular type of trip. Haifa is my favorite city in the world in many ways, but you have to stay there to experience that. What I would do is go to Akko first and spend a few hours exploring it, particularly the Crusader underground city/Knights Halls. Then take the train back to Haifa and take a cab up to the Louis Promenade with the view of the Bay. Walk down to the lookout on Yefe Nof (the same street) over the Baha'i Gardens to see that great site. Take a cab back to the train station and to back to Tel Aviv.

That could work. It will be a long day, but a cool one.

Douglas Duckett

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

I agree with Douglas-give priority to Akko so go there first. Is there anything specific that you want to see in Haifa ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

You could do half a day in each city. Starting in Akko is best (I always start at the most distant point). But if you are planning on participating in the 12 noon tour of the Bahai Gardens go yo Akko immediately afterwards. Akko old city sites are open till 5 or 6 depending on the season.

Chana

Israel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

Chana makes a good point about the Baha'i Garden tour in terms of timing. I will say, though, that would not take that full tour given how little time you have, unless you have a special interest in the Baha'i. It's spectacular to see, but you can get a good (and brief) sense of it from that vista on Yefe Nof overlooking the garden with a view all the way down the mountain. You can do a half-day in each, but I still would give more time to Akko, as that is a walking/exploring city.

Douglas Duckett

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

My wife and I were just in Israel last May and we spent 1 day in Akko and overnighted there and had 1 day in Haifa. There is no way we could have properly visited both on the same day. There is so much to see in the old city of Akko that you really need at least a day there itself and while we saw what we wanted in Haifa in a half a day, just getting around in Haifa ate up the rest of our time.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

Its good to know that I could visit both cities in the same day although I agree I am possibly doing a great injustice by not having longer time to spare in either place.

I am only in the country for just over a week and my itinerary seems to be getting tighter and tighter!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,856 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

Seeing the Baha'i Gardens from the top is great and enough. You can walk down or take a cab to the German Colony at the end of the day, had dinner/light meal/coffee in one of the places there and take the train back To Tel Aviv. A long day. Akko is very interesting and as said requires more time, Haifa is beautiful.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

I'm thinking of making more time for Haifa Shoshi and see what time I have spare for Akko.

I want to visit Baha'i Gardens however want to have the time to enjoy this and see a little more of Haifa also.

9. Re: Haifa and Akko in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20