my girlfriend and i will fly to Israel next wednesday and i have a couple question i hope you guys can help me with.
1) Is it safe to visit the mount of olives at night ? I`m a hobby Photographeur and would love to take a night shot of Jerusalem. In case it`s not safe, is there a place nearby that is ?
2) Are there any areas in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv we should avoid (like parts of the bronx f.e.) ? According to our foreign ministry East Jerusalem is a place you should be careful in. If i would be alone and without an expensive camera i would definately take a look at it but in my situation im not sure this is a good idea.
3) I´ve read that they sometimes will close the border and you cant get back to Israel if you are in the Westbank. I can`t imagine this is true since so many tourist visit Ein Gedi/Dead Sea/Masada all the time. Or can we really get stuck at the Westbank ?
4) Do you need to have an international drivers licence to rent a car or will be a european driver licence enough ? I assume you are not allowed to drive into palestine territory with an israeli rental car - am i allowed to drive to East Jerusalem / Mount of Olives with it ? Accordingt to Google Maps it is outside the 1949 Agreement Line. Or did i get something wrong here ?
5) And my last one. We will fly with El Al. I´ve heard some storys about people who had to leave their DSLR at the Airport because the Camera + Lenses somehow didnt pass the security test. Anything like that ever happened to someone here ?
Thank you very much in advance !