We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

San Diego...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

I'm running out of time. My mother is almost 84 years old with mild dementia. It has been her dream to go to Israel and I want to try to take her before it's too late. Private touring is just too expensive (only 3 of us going, My mom, dad and myself) and a regular tour, although a great value, will not allow a roller walker nor a wheelchair and is probably to fast paced anyway. My mom does walk but gets tired. She would be interested in a christian holy land tour in Spanish. Does anyone have a compromise between a private tour and a group tour that wont break the bank and or her spirit? Should I take the organized tour and only do the things she can walk to?

Is El Al the best airline for comfort as well as safety. Any sample itineraries for the elderly slow walkers. Looking into a tour by Israel4all but haven't heard back yet. Should I rent a car and do most of it own my own and use private day tours in specific places?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

I can't stress strongly enough that you should not subject your mother to a group tour. It will be a huge exercise in frustration for you as she will be extremely limited and will not be able to keep up.

The Israel4All is an excellent alternative if it is in your budget.

The other way to do this is to plan this trip yourself. Those on the forum can help. You would need to do a lot of careful planning but it is doable. Hiring a private guide for certain days and places will work, especially for Jerusalem. You must be able to push a wheelchair and manage that end of things for her. You can rent a wheelchair there, or bring one with you. Israel has a lot of walking, not all of it is accessible but you mother could have the trip of a lifetime if you take a realistic approach to what you can and can not do.

I have taken a couple of senior tours to Israel as a group leader. On one of them we had a wheelchair. The trip was an intense, powerful experience for this lady though she could not do everything the group did (even on a slower paced seniors tour).

San Diego...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

Thank you for your quick response. anmejoshme. I will wait to hear from Israel4all and see if the itinerary is affordable. If not , I will then try to carefully plan the itinerary and use private tours sparingly. I will rent a wheelchair and bring a rollerwalker with me and try to have her see things at her pace and comfortably. I will post when I get all information and make a decision. Thanks for your advise.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

Hi Sandra,

I highly recommend a private tour for you and your family. If you're 3 people, indeed the cost will be higher but it shouldn't be that much. You will be comfortable and do whatever you want or like. There are many factors that can effect the price. The fee of a guide and driver is pretty much standard, however there are many options for the hotels that can majorly increase or decrease the total cost. Generally speaking, staying in Bethlehem is more affordable than staying in Jerusalem.

Alternatively, there are SIC (Seat in Coach) Tours, they are more affordable than the private tours but they can be tricky with the condition of your mother.

John

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

SIC tours ( a term I had to google to find it means day trips) are the worst possible solution for you. As others indicated earlier--a tour is NOT going to be at a slow speed. Your mom will not keep up and not enjoy. Day trips are probably the worst. No relationship between you and the guide is made and the guide has a very full itinerary. You would be miserable.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

There is a website here which has information that might be helpful to you.

wheelchairtraveling.com/touring-israel-in-a-…

I agree with anmejoshme - I don't think that even a slower paced tour will be a good idea. If you Mum has mild dementia then travelling could possibly confuse her more so trying to keep up with a group would be the worst thing. You would need to be able to alter your itinerary as you go, if things aren't working out as planned.

I would suggest that you work on doing this mostly by yourself (people here can help you organise an itinerary) but hire a tour guide in certain places. For example, I suggest a guide for Jerusalem old city who is familiar with the needs of disabled people and can work out wheelchair friendly routes for you. There are so many steps in the old city that you need to know the best routes to take.

Also, when finding hotels I suggest you find out directly from them how wheelchair friendly they are. I am on vacation in Israel at the moment and gave been struggling with walking due to back issues and have noticed that some public conveniences marked for disabled people would not be suitable for everyone with disabilities. Hotel rooms here tend to be very small so it is worthwhile checking that the room for your Mum is big enough for her, plus wheelchair and walker etc. Ask as many questions as you can beforehand so that you know exactly what the room will consist of.

San Diego...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

I thank everyone for their input. You have given me alot of very useful information. I have my work cut out for me, but I feel I now have the right information in order to fulfill my mom's dreams. I will be in touch and tell you how the plans are going and would appreciate any help in the planning of the itinerary.

Sandra

7. Re: Slow walker, 83 year old mom, best Christian tour in Spanish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16