We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel/tour recommendation

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
travel/tour recommendation

Any suggestions for an active/adventure type tour of Israel? Not extreme adventure but things like kayaking, biking, hiking, etc plus seeing key sites.

I travel extensively and I would not mind traveling there and booking my own but honestly I haven't a clue how to go about it and might feel more comfortable with a tour.

I don't want a large group with every minute and meal planned but a smaller one with a good mix of activities and free time.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel/tour recommendation

I am not quite sure if you will be able to find a small group which you can join. Maybe you can or cannot, it depends on many factors. If there were no groups, you can do a private tour. I can suggest a combination of main religious sites, historical and archaeological sites with kayaking, biking and hiking.

However, in order to make that possible, some travel agencies might have something similar to what you are seeking, if not, they should be able to customize a special tour to fulfill your areas of interest.

I suggest that you contact companies and see what available tours they have or what they can offer you.

John

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel/tour recommendation

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are thinking of, but it might be worth your while checking out,

Biblical Israel tours are planning a tour next year which includes the option to run in the Jerusalem Marathon. They have also done some active tours in the past. It is a Christian group, but would be suitable for people from any denomination. John Delancey, the one organising the tours is extremely active and runs ultra marathons. Even on the general tours he includes optional runs or walks most evenings in the area the tour stays. I seem to remember that one of his active tours did include kayaking. Each tour is individually organised so if you think one might be a possibility it is worth emailing John and he might have other 'active' options he could build into the tour.

This is the link to the tour which includes the marathon option: http://biblicalisraeltours.com/march-2015/

He never takes more than one bus load, and some of his tours have had much less on them. I can personally recommend his tours as we did one last year (one suitable for all ages and walking abilities).

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel/tour recommendation

HeatherG thanks for that, will check it out. My marathon running days were sadly cut short due to a hip injury... boo! but sounds like a company we'd like to consider for other tours!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel/tour recommendation

You can easily plan a trip with these kinds of activities yourself. Kayaking on the Jordan is popular and several companies run daily through out the summer. For desert adventures you can book through guides such as Adam Sela who will take you rappelling, jeep riding, biking, camping in the desert, etc. You could visit Timna Park in the south for spectacular hiking and they also rent bikes for short and longer bike trails. There is bike riding in the Golan, rappelling, paragliding, balloon riding, horseback riding etc. In the Hula valley you can rent bikes to explore the bird sanctuary or do a night visit to see the animals, including jungle cats, that are active at night. In the south in Eilat there is scuba diving, snorkeling, parasailing etc. The list is quite endless. If you travel extensively, you might find a tour somewhat confining, expecially if you are eager to do adventure activities. I have done most of these activities (not rappelling!) on trips that I have taken on my own but I think you would be hard pressed to find a trip that does only these kinds of things. There are day tour providers such as Abraham tours which do adventure days in small group tours which you could work into a bigger plan.

5. Re: travel/tour recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 06:16