We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

Boston...
Level Contributor
183 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

I'm interested in Ein Hod as a day trip from Haifa. It looks fascinating! I tried to read all the other posts about it. It looks as if the 921 bus goes there frequently from the Hof HaCarmel station, and it isn't a long trip. However there is some talk about the 1 km walk from the bus station into the village. How intimidating is this? Walking less than a mile isn't usually a problem for me, but if it is really straight uphill that may be challenging. I wouldn't be comfortable hitching a ride. Are there any taxis?

I also noticed that there is a tour. I'll have to write and find out if this is offered on a regular schedule or if it's arranged privately. Perhaps the tour operators would assist with transport?

If anyone has been there/ has advice that would be appreciated!

Arik Private Tours In Israel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

Intimidating? In what respect? I haven't walked it myself, but looking at the hiking map I see that the elevation at the bus stop is 35 metres above sea level; at Ein Hod it is 135 metres above sea level. That is 100 metres in 1 km, not exactly a steep climb! Assuming you are of average fitness, it should be a 15-minute walk. The greatest danger will be from passing traffic. If there is no pavement/sidewalk, walk on the left-hand side of the road (facing oncoming traffic).

There won't be any taxis waiting at the bus stop. If you really think you can't walk that one kilometer and are set on taking a taxi, probably the closest place to get one is Atlit, which is miles out of your way (but you could take a train from Haifa to Atlit), and unless you have serious mobility problems it seems like overkill.

Boston...
Level Contributor
183 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

Thanks. Maybe it is not an issue. I'm a pretty good walker.

What gave me pause was that the village's own web site has a warning ("steep up hill!"), colored red and with exclamation points. I just wondered.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

Everything is relative! When you consider that some people never walk more than a total of five minutes a day...

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,981 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

You can walk it. There are regularly scheduled tours but do contact them to be sure that there will be one on the date of your visit and also to be sure the galleries are open then.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

I have family in Ein Hod and visit often.

While I'm sure Shuffaluff's topographical data is spot on, the fact is that the road from the bus stop up to the village is winding and very steep. For most of the way there is no sidewalk and cars shoot up and down quickly. So although it's not far and the view is nice, it is not a relaxing or comfortable walk. And if it's on a hot day you will be really tired when you get up the hill - and the village itself is hilly and steep.

Ein Hod is well worth visiting, but if a taxi is an option that might make for a more relaxing trip.

6. Re: Getting to Ein Hod by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16