We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

I am going to Israel next week and would like to find some out of the way places to visit or experience. We will be there for a little more than two weeks, but that also includes an overnight in Petra. Also, am looking for recommendations for a guide and for restaurants. We will be in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

If you search this forum you will find many many restaurant recommendations. There are also many guide recommendations ( see the top question section--upper right, 8th question, 'private guides" My main concern is that finding a really good guide a week before your departure date is going to be difficult. You may luck out--or the best guides may all be booked. People book guides as soon as they make airline reservations. Do you have hotel reservations?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

More than two weeks in Israel, but only visiting Tel Aviv and Jerusalem? The Galilee and Golan Heights in northern Israel are some of the most interesting regions of our country - you shouldn't miss them.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Golan Heights
Golan Heights
Middle East
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

I second the first comment above -- book guides NOW. Many of the most popular ones will already be committed.

If it would be of help in planning your trip, I would be happy to send a copy of a free, noncommercial guide to Israel travel that I offer to anyone who asks. It is a 59-page .pdf file; to get it, just write me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send it as a file attachment via return e-mail. And no strings -- I am not even in the travel business.

The guide is based on my own travel experiences and as said above, I am not in the travel business, so it does not purport to be all-encompassing or a substitute for a more thorough, comprehensive, and professional guidebook. For that, I recommend either Frommer's or Fodor's. It does have lots of hotel and restaurant recommendations, as well as suggested itineraries and other information about Israel travel.

My offer goes to anyone reading this, by the way, but you must send me an e-mail, NOT a message on Trip Advisor, as I cannot send file attachments through that medium and will not copy and paste e-mail addresses over to my e-mail program. I get a lot of requests for this guide and this is not my job, so I hope you understand I need it done that way.

I hope that you have a wonderful visit!

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

What kind of restaurants? What kind of food do you like/hate?

Are you looking for upscale places or more everyday places?

Are you travelling with children (or people who eat like children)?

Any dietary restrictions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

We prefer going to more local restaurants that serve Israeli/Middle East food. Maybe one night we would splurge on an upscale restaurant, but the other times it should be moderately priced. We have no children or dietary restrictions.

6. Re: need a guide and restaurant recommendations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:15