We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

As anyone in Israel will have noticed the weather has been weird over the past day or two and is getting weirder. There are already thunderstorms in Sinai and in parts of the Negev and during the night storms and rain are forecast for most parts of the country.

The official Israel Meteorological Service (ims.gov.il/IMSENG/All_Tahazit/homepage.htm) is warning of a risk of flash floods and flooding in eastern and southern wadis (dry river beds).

If you're planning tours please check the media.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

Wow! I have been cold ever since leaving sunny Israel, but the weather in Melbourne looked much better today than you folks are getting!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

PRSV- I get what you mean. My son's birthday is April 13 and although everyone says we are done with the snow by then, we had to rearrange many of his birthday parties due to heavy snow falls or even a blizzard one year. Those special days are good reminders of events we otherwise wouldn't think about.

Hope everyone will 'weather' the weather and things will get back to normal shortly.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

<<70 American hikers stranded in Arava due to heavy floods>>

They will probably organise a parade ;)

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

For the latest dose of flash food footage see the video that opens automatically on the following page, from 00:51 (the audio is in Hebrew):

http://news.walla.co.il/?w=/550/2744303

The first part of the report is an interview with the mother of one of 200 schoolchildren who are "stuck" at Massada after camping there last night despite the warnings. Please be assured that the children are safe, but it seems they may not be able to leave the area until tomorrow. But the bit that led me to collapse in tears was when one mother explained that she can't speak to her child because their cell phone batteries have run out. Constant cellular connectivity with your child is considered a supreme human right by every Israeli parent...

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

Constant cellular connectivity with your child is considered a supreme human right by every Israeli parent...

.......and most people have two phones: milchik and fleischik

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

How did those of us who grew up before cellphones survive to adulthood??!! Back in my young days I spent a year on a kibbutz, and in all that time I didn't speak to my parents (in England) once. That was normal then. We wrote letters, if anyone remembers what those are...

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

And when we did phone we needed those assimonim which we though made great pendants to go along with the 'gummie' worn round our wrists.

Oh those were the days toiling on Kibbutz Yahel in the arava!

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

I was thinking similarly Shuffaluff. The wonderful thing is that although that parent can't talk individually to her child, the news media can tell her and all other parents that all the children are safe.

The floods look amazing. Thanks for posting that link PRSV. Even though I couldn't understand a word said, the pictures were amazing.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,072 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

I remember that when I first got here (okay, I'm dating myself) you had to make an appt at the post to make an overseas phone call, which could only be made at the main post office - and yes, we wrote letters - you asked a question and with luck you got an answer in about 3 weeks.

On a serious note, the water level of the Kinneret went up 2.5 cm in the last 24 hours - that is the good news that comes with all the rain.

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Serious risk of flash floods over next 2 days

Back in the 70s and the 80s there was one phone in the Kibbutz Dining Room, I think I used to phone home once a year (reversing the charges) for 4 years. Rest of the time : lots of letters and postcards and one visit from my mum!