We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes?

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes?

I know about proper dress as far as pants, shirts and head covering. How about shoes, is it okay to wear open sandals, no socks to the sites of the three major religions?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes?

Yes, you can wear sandals without socks anywhere.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes?

Great, thanks Shuff.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes?

It is an offence to wear sandals with socks, the fashion police will get you.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes?

Yeah dcweymouth, dork city.

Just wanted to make it clear my tootsies would be hanging out. When in doubt, ask.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes?

The problem with tootsies hanging out is that they can get trampled on if it's busy in the Old City markets.

Lots of people prefer sandals because of the heat... I prefer light weight shoes with lightweight, sweat absorbent socks - that way I protect my delicate tootsies. :)

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes?

May I suggest buying birkenstocks or similar that fit?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoes?

Good walking sandals are perfect for Israel. You will be walking a lot so good grips and foot support will be necessary. Not flipflops. I don't think I have ever worn socks in Israel between April and November.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoes?

Yes, do have a very good pair of leather sandals that do enclose my tootsies somewhat for protection, but are still open to keep cool( and they are somewhat stylish in my opinion dcweymouth)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoes?

Like many others, while in Israel during the warm months my feet basically never go in a pair of closed shoes. ( except for going to work out at the gym) I walk, hike, climb etc. all over the country in good sports sandals. It is really your preference.

10. Re: Shoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17