We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

Ocean City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

Thank you to all that gave me their valuable feedback... I've revamped our itinerary to the following... thoughts? Anything I've missed/should include? You will see itineraries under each location... this is just for flexibility... e.g. if we don't feel like kayaking day 2, can do that on day 3.

North Israel –Day 1-4

• Do we stay in Hadera (we have friends that live here)? Netanya? Tel-Aviv?

Itinerary 1 - Caeserea, Beach, Playground – probably 1st day to keep busy to not sleep but not too much so (Wed)

Itinerary 2 –kayaking on the Jordan (a few hours) through Hula reservation/Sea of Galilee-Tiberias or Chocolate Factory/making tour (De Karina/Galita’s)

Itinerary 3- Sachne, Gan Garoo

Itinerary 4- Akko, Haifa, Rosh Hanikra

Travelling Day 5– Be’er Sheva (to visit friends/see how area has changed) & go to Ein Gedi

• Should we also stop at Ashdod (south of Tel Aviv) on the way?

Ein Gedi-Day 6-7

• I'm thinking of staying in Ein Gedi on the Kibbutz may be a better as more “resort”-like and where we would be spending the majority of the time with excursions to Dead Sea & Masada but not sure...

Itinerary 1 – Dead Sea Float (early morning or late afternoon), enjoy Ein Gedi (feeding animals, hiking, “waterfalls”, etc)

Itinerary 2 –Masada (early morning or late afternoon), enjoy Ein Gedi (feeding animals, hiking, “waterfalls”, etc)

Jerusalem – Day 8,9,10

• Itinerary 1 – Old City – Kotel, Western Wall Tunnels, Hezekaiah's water tunnels, Jewish Quarter, 4 Sephardic Synagogues, Temple Mount/Dome of Rock, King David’s Tomb (Mt. Zion), Tower of David Museum, Walking along Ramparts, Cardo, markets (With Tour Guide) - I REALIZE THIS IS WAAAAY TOO MUCH IN ONE DAY... will fill in what is missed for days 2 & 3

Itinerary 2 –Other Jerusalem (Ben Yehuda street, Israel Museum, Knesset, Marc Chagall windows at Medical Center, Mini Israel)

Itinerary 3- Biblical Zoo, Time Elevator, those missed from above 2

Tel Aviv, Jaffa, Ashdod – Day 11, 12, 13 (our flight is at midnight of Day 14...so whole day 13 is available) ... theme relaxation

Itinerary 1 – Ashdod (south of Tel Aviv), Dizengoff St/fountain

Itinerary 2 – Yarkon Park (paddle boats), Palmach Museum

Itinerary 3 - Beaches (e.g. Tayelet, Andromeda’s rock), Eretz Israel Museum

Kfar Blum Kayaks
Kayaking & Canoeing
HaGoshrim Kayaks
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, River Rafting & Tubing
Trek Yam Achziv
Kayaking & Canoeing, Boat Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling
Rob Roy
Kayaking & Canoeing
Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

For your Dead Sea swimming I would highly recommend the FREE public beach at Ein Bokek. They have brought in sand for the whole beach, with showers and changing rooms. Parking is easy and there are restaurants and shops right on the beachfront. The drive from Ein Gedi is pretty quick if you have a car. This is a great beach with children.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

<<Itinerary 1 – Dead Sea Float (early morning or late afternoon), >>

We've already explained on your other thread that your children are too young to go in the Dead Sea.

Why Ashdod? Unless you have friends or relatives to visit, there's nothing of particular interest there. And there is nothing of interest for kids on Dizengoff Street and the fountain.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

By all means stay in Hadera at friends. It's a good place to start your touring of the north. I suggest the first day to go see the Leatherback turtles at Nahal Alexander along with Caesarea and the beach.

Would this be the first day of your arrival?

Regarding kayaking, this is about 1.5 hours of the day and not through the Hula reservation, but rather from one of the kibbutzim or parks that offer this (it is still unclear if there will be regular kayaking this summer due to the lack of water in the streams). DeKarina is fun, as as well as Galita's which is near Gan-Garoo

The lever of water in Sachne is not very high so I don't recommend going there this summer. Gan Garoo in the summer can be very difficult due to the over 100F temps there all the time.

Akko may be interesting for the kids, Haifa isn't but there is a fantastic playground just off the coastal road when coming from the south. It's between the road and the railroad tracks and there is plenty of parking (you can't miss it as you are driving by). In Haifa I would take them there and to the Maritime museum. Rosh Hanikra is also great.

Beer Sheva to Ein Gedi is a very big schlep and will take you a couple of hours driving. Unless you are staying overnight in Beer Sheva and leaving first thing in the morning I would make this trip while you are staying in Jerusalem (you are staying in Jerusalem, right?) While in Beer Sheva take the kids to the Airforce Museum and/or the Joe Alon Bedoin Heritage Center at Lahav.

No need to stop in Ashdod. Although there is a beautiful beach, nice Philistine museum and some antiquties, there is not much for your kids.

Ein Gedi-Day 6-7 You can stay at the kibbutz guest house which is a resort but not next to the sea. It is a great location for visiting and checking out the area. Masada is about 30 minutes south of there. You get free entrance to the Ein Gedi spa which has it's own beach, a swimming pool and mud. But as mentioned your children should not go into the water as it is not good for their sensitive skin.

No feeding animals at Ein Gedi or anywhere else there are wild or caged animals. The Dead Sea float can be at any time of the day. It's best to go to Ein Gedi first thing in the morning or in the late afternoon (after 3) so you will actually see the animals.

Masada should be done first thing in the morning when it's a bit cooler.

Forget the Temple Mount. You will need to stand in line for at least 45-60 minutes and your kids will not be too happy about this. In any case you cannot go into the Dome of the Rock. Hezekiah's water tunnel requires water shoes and an average sized at least 5 year old to enter. The tunnel is in the City of David park.

Be sure to visit the children's wing at the Israel Museum. I think your kids are too little for the Knesset tour. Mini Israel is fun, but do this in the evening when it's cooler.

I think you should add the Emeq Zurim sifting project on the Mt. of Olives and the Ayalon Institute. Even though the kids are young they will enjoy the experience of both places.

Forget the Palmach museum, your kids are too young for entrance.

Chana

Israel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

Nimrods castle in the north and walking along the promenade to Jaffa in Tel Aviv are two highlights that my children enjoyed, that are not on your list.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 07:55
Ocean City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

Thank you all for your advice... even though my kids will not go into the water, they want to see the Dead Sea. I will explain about that the water is not best for their skin and will stick to the mud at the Ein Gedi Spa and fresh water pools.

As for Ashdod...yes... friends.

I would love to do the sifting experience while staying in Jerusalem... my husband seems to think this will be way too hot and not fun for the kids to do. From what I read, I can't imagine that... I think the kids would love it. Any further insight? Which is better? closer?

Edited: 22 May 2014, 18:54
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

Why is the Temple Sifting Project any more a non-desirable activity in August than any other activity you might be considering? There's no reason not to do this during the summer months. The work area is shaded from the sun.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

The sifting project is fun for all ages from 2 -102, so make a reservation (needed for summer months), put on some clothes you don't mind them getting dirty and enjoy!

Chana

Israel

Ocean City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

About the sifting experience... I have asked my husband the same thing... it's going to be hot... we need to pick the right times to do some of these things and not pack too much into a day since kids get over tired. I think I will add it back to the itinerary. Thanks.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 22:04
Shdema, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

Mini Israel is not in Jerusalem (about 40 minutes drive near Latrun and the Trappists Monastry).

I second the fact tha Ashdod hasn't much to offer (except maybe beaches - I live in the area and work in the city).

Edited: 23 May 2014, 09:53
10. Re: Take 2: Itinerary for August Israel trip with kids (5 & 7)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:15