We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

We are meeting out hosts tomorrow night for Shabbat of a Lifetime. Assuming we will be leaving from our hotel, the YMCA, how long will it take and how best to get to this neighborhood? Here is what I was sent as directions.

"Meeting time and place: 20:00 at the corner of Betzalel and Usishkin St., Nachlaot neighborhood (*there is a Super SOS at 17 Betzalel St.- my husband, Ben, will be waiting right in front of the supermarket which is closed on Friday nights."

Thanks

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

Hi Martyk,

When you say YMCA I assume you mean the West Jerusalem YMCA on King David Street, right?

Your two options are to walk or to take a taxi.

To walk: Go round the back of YMCA onto Keren Hayesod Street. Then turn right and walk straight up the road. You cross straight over the intersection with Agron Street and keep going straight, though the road is now called King George Street. Take the second road on the left - Shmuel Hanagid Street - and follow it round as it curves. Note Har El (the first Reform synagogue in Israel) and the original building of the Bezalel Art Academy as you walk along on the left-hand side of the road. Immediately after Betzalel, turn left onto Betzalel Street (pedestrianized) and walk up. You then come into the main section of Betzalel Street. Walk down a couple of hundred meters and the second road on your left is Ussishkin Street, and you'll easily find the closed supermarket.

I reckon this would take 20-25 minutes and in the cool evening it would be a lovely walk. You can also easily get taxi there and/or back - around NIS 30 at most I would expect.

Enjoy & Shabbat Shalom!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

1.6 km, 22 minutes:

http://goo.gl/maps/dxXQY

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,364 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

Though they sound a tad overwhelming PRSV's instructions are perfect and you will get directly to the meeting point - my estimate is also about 20-25 minutes. Allow a few more minutes for people watching and absorbing the Shabbat atmosphere. The city has a different pace and a different feel to it on Friday evenings.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

From the YMCA, walk left (on King David Street/Hamelech David), first left on Lincoln, walk to the end of Lincoln, right on Keren Hayesod Street, continue straight - after the big intersection the continuation of Keren Hayesod is called King George/Hamelech George. Continue walking, with a park on the right. At the second traffic light turn left (Hama'alot Street) and continue walking for about two minutes. The continuation of Hamaalot is called Narkis. Third right on Ussishkin, and then straight to the end of Ussishkin, where it meets Betzalel. (Spellings of street names on signs might vary slightly but not so much that they will be unintelligible!)

Total distance, measured with a piece of string on the map, is about 1.6 km, one mile. Say 20-25 minutes, not running.

Posted simultaneously, we all have same walking time, my directions are slightly different from PRSV's (and his landmarks are brilliant) but it all amounts to the same!

Edited: 22 May 2014, 06:52
New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

Thank you all so much! Happy to hear we can walk.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

Super SOS:

http://goo.gl/maps/KasMn

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

Hi Oreet,

My family and I are planning to visit Israel in mid June.

And we should be in Tiberias on a Friday. We are very keen to have a Shabbat dinner experience. Do you know how should we go about it? What is the protocol that we need to observe at the Shabbat?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

ailan, you should start a new thread rather than posting on this one, since your question doesn't relate specifically to finding this specific meeting place.

But the Shabbat dinner experience is in Jerusalem. As far as I know there is nothing similar in Tiberias.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,673 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

Ailan there are Shabbat dinners in Tiberias. I have sent you information by PM so not to high jack this thread.

Chana

10. Re: Getting to a neighborhood for Shabbat dinner tomorrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:16