We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

The Woodlands, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

My wife and I are looking to take a small group tour to the Holy Land in May 2015 to explore the Holy Land. We are interested in an extensive/comprehensive tour of Christian-Catholic Holy Land sites but with religious interest more on the historical aspect than a pilgrimage including worship/mass services every day. We are also considering a 3-4 day extension to Jordan to see Petra and other historical sites.

I would appreciate any recommendations on reputable tour agencies offering small group tours that we could consider (either in US or Israel). thanks for any assistance and advice!

The Woodlands, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

One extra clarification on my post above is that the days are in Israel and Jordan and exclude flight time from/to the US. We will arrange our own air fare. Thanks.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

What do you consider a "small group"?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

I can recommend www.maranathatours.com The tour I went on was not for Catholics, but they do Catholic tours as well as Evangelical/Protestant tours and the standard of the tour was excellent.

I can also recommend www.biblicalisraeltours.com - but those tours are Biblical, but not Catholic tours. You would go to all the biblical sites, but would miss out on some Catholic churches and whilst they have communion in the Garden Tomb, they don't hold mass anywhere. The Church sites could be easily added in by staying on for a few days afterwards. The tour I did with them covered more Old Testament sites than the average tour.

Where both of those are concerned we organised our own flights since we are in Australia. You just need to get them to quote the "land only" price. Both of those groups do extensions to Jordan on some of their tours.

There are two people who are significant on every tour. One is the tour leader (maybe a Pastor or Priest) who provides the spiritual/'devotional content to the tour. The second is the tour guide. This is a local person who is qualified to explain all the different historical sites you are visiting. This person may not necessarily be a Christian, but will be well educated and experienced in the kind of things that we would like to know about.

You do need to be comfortable that the tour leader (Pastor or Priest) is someone that you would be happy to have lead the group you will be in so it is important for you to find out a bit about that person in advance, if you can so that you know the tour will be a good fit for your own beliefs.

London england
Level Contributor
243 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

I can recommend Vered Hasharon - they deal with pilgrim tours and based in Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

First of all, if you are Roman Catholics, I strongly advise not taking a group tour with a Protestant orientation. I don't think that would be a good fit for you.

You are interested in a tour with a more historical bent, rather than religious, yet you wish to celebrate Roman Catholic Mass each day? That sounds like a Catholic pilgrimage experience to me. There are many group tours with that sort of agenda.

But if the historical aspect is more important to you than the religious, such a group tour might not be the best fit. In that case, you could also hire a private guide that will tailor a program to your precise interests.

6. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 01:32
7. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 01:32
Edited: 27 May 2014, 01:32
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

There are travel agencies within Israel that have tours you could consider and www.travelujah.com is one of these. They were involved in organising a tour for Tony Blair, the former British Prime Minister, who is a Catholic. My husband and I did their three day/two night tour to Jordan a couple of years ago and it went smoothly.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

If you want your tour to include Roman Catholic Mass each day, it might be best to start your search with your very own church. Many local communities organize their own parish tour and your priest comes along as your tour leader. On our end, a licensed Israeli guide should do the guiding.

You can even become tour leader yourself by organizing about 15-20 other people in your community for a group tour experience that can be tailored to your needs. If you are able to do that, chances are that your touring expenses would be zero, since it's common to receive a complimentary land package for that number of participants.

10. Re: 2015 Holy Land small group tour 11-13 days

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 18:48