We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep tours to Gamla?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep tours to Gamla?

Are there any jeep tours that would go to Gamla (the ancient city part).

We haven't tried going to Gamla because I understood the distance would be too far for me to walk. I just wondered if there would be a possibility of getting there by jeep?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,267 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

No, it's a National Park and impossible to tour with a jeep even if it wasn't. You can still can visit the site and see the city from above which is somewhat better than physically going down by foot.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

According to The Nature Reserve website: Wheelchair access: An 800-m-long trail with views of the ancient city and the story of the ancient battle; the vulture observation station and a view of the remains of the Byzantine church. http://old.parks.org.il/BuildaGate5/general2/data_card.php?Cat=~25~~386746842~Card12~&ru=&SiteName=parks&Clt=&Bur=754518789

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

Thank you both.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,031 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

The ancient city is on a hill, so even if you get near it, you still have to climb to see the various parts. There are another two trails, one to the vultures view point and one to the waterfall. The accessible one is to the vultures and the Byzantine church. This is the part I love and try to visit every few years. The trail to the waterfall is long, on a flat road but with many, many, many stones and it is not easy to walk. No shade either. The waterfall is not that impressive. Going for the vultures only is great.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

Thanks Shoshi. I am going to have to work hard at my physiotherapy exercises and get more mobile! :). I would love to get to the ancient city.

USA
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

This is a minor example of "hijacking" a thread, but I don't like to clutter the board with a separate thread for every question about the same topic. So: We do plan to walk down to the ancient city. I am not in great physical shape (relatively lazy guy with a desk job) and my wife has some back problems. But we are highly motivated. And of course the kids will find it easy (they always do!). Do you think we need hiking boots for this walk? It would be the only reason we would bring them -- so I would prefer not to do so unless really necessary. Would sneakers or Tevas be OK? I have read some things suggesting this is a really tough walk, and then others saying it is 25 minutes each way, on stairs. So I'm having trouble envisioning it.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

You are welcome to hijack the thread. ;)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,109 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

You do not need hiking boots for this - sneakers, sports sandals or whatever you are comfortable in should be fine.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

Do not forget bottle of water and hats

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,267 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeep tours to Gamla?

I would wear closed shoes because of the pebbles. You walk down stone steps and walk on a worn path in the city. It's not hard but very steep , so for people with knee/back problems I wouldn't advise the hike. Walking up is tiring so take breaks often and drink. If it's over 90 F I would forgo the hike for fear of dehydration-heat stroke.

Chana

Israel