We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

I will be flying into Ben Gurion on July 23 and flying out on July 31. That gives me 8 nights and 7 full days. I don't have a lot of time but I definitely want to spend atleast a few days in Jerusalem and to see Tel Aviv and Haifa. I am open to other suggestions about how to best spend my time and in what order! I'll be traveling alone and it's my first time visiting. It will also be Ramadan and Eid, so I am hoping to visit some religious sites as well.

Any tips or advice about how to plan my week would be appreciated! (As well as for hostels or places to stay)

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,767 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

Start in Tel Aviv-Yaffo for a day and then Haifa for a day with a trip to Akko. Spend the rest of the time in Jerusalem with a possible day trip to the Dead Sea. but only if you are drinking during the fast.

Another city to visit would be Ramle which was the capital during the first Moslem rule and has several very interesting sites.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Yaffo Tel Aviv
Yaffo Tel Aviv
410 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,922 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

From the airport head to Jerusalem. Sunday 27th take the bus to Haifa and proceed by train to Akko. Stay there for 2 nights, move to Tel Aviv by train till the end of your trip. Book accommodation ASAP. Jerusalem - Abraham Hostel, or one of the youth hostels (iyha.org.il/en the one on Agron st. is close to the Old City), you can try Gloria hotel too. Akko - again the youth hostel and the same in Tel Aviv. In Tel Aviv try Amiad hostel too.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
2,232 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,401 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Gloria Hotel
Gloria Hotel
432 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

In Jerusalem you might enjoy staying in a Muslim area of the Old City, which has a wonderful atmosphere during Ramadan, with lights in the neighborhoods and lots of food stalls in the evening (on Eid there are also some street celebrations). A friend of mine recommended the Hashimi hotel/hostel:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293983-d582387…

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,401 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Hashimi Hotel
Hashimi Hotel
464 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

There is good fast inexpensive train service from the airport to Tel Aviv to Haifa to Akko. However, the trains do not run from around 3 p.m. on Friday until around 9 p.m. on Saturday. So, I would go first to Jerusalem for a few days including Eid, then end with 2 nights in either Tel Aviv or Haifa, using the train to visit the other and Akko (one of my favorite cities in Israel). That way you don't have to change hotels or travel with your luggage again. You would need to take a shared taxi (sherut) or bus from Jerusalem (train service from Jerusalem is inconvenient and very slow). The trains between Akko and the airport (stopping in Haifa and Tel Aviv) run hourly all night, so you could even take the train to the airport at the end of your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

I understand that Eid begins on Sunday evening. It may be interesting to visit Akko on Tuesday or Wednesday to see the festivities there too.

6. Re: What cities to visit during my 1 week in Israel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:17