We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Bank question - do I need a guide

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
601 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
West Bank question - do I need a guide

A group of us (14) are planning to spend a day in Bethlehem and close by areas (Jericho?). How to get around in WB safely and still enjoy the culture ! Do we need a guide ! Not all of us may be able to venture this so please ignore the # for a minute when you advise.

Which is a nice area to visit Ramallah or Jericho or any other place ! Do I really need a guide...! IF yes, is there any good non-political guide service available !

thanks in advance

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: West Bank question - do I need a guide

Do you NEED a guide? Of course not. Plenty of tourists go to the West Bank by themselves, and it's perfectly safe and the Palestinian bus network is good.

But for your big group, there are advantages of having a guide (or at least a private driver and a private vehicle). Unless someone is the "leader" and knows what he's doing, it sounds like it'd be chaotic with anywhere near 14 people. For example, the Palestinian buses more like 10 people shared taxis, so you'd have to split up and wait for the next bus to get from A to B. And getting a big group of people to move together is a hassle, and you could end up wasting tons of time waiting for everyone unless you have a leader to stick to a schedule and make sure you move on to the next place.

Also, a private vehicle allows you to get around the various cities of the West Bank much more quickly / efficiently than using the bus system. And you do have the advantage of scale in that the cost will be spread around a lot of people.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Bank question - do I need a guide

I can recommend Twins Tours. My husband and I had one of the twins - Tony Moubarak - guide us to Sebastie (where King Ahab and Jezebel had a palace) Jacob's well in Nablus , and some other places in the West Bank. It was not a political day in any way. :)

http://www.twinstours.org

I have always felt in the West Bank but not knowing the language or the culture have felt happier going with a guide. For a group as large as yours it is definitely economical to have a guide who can organise transport. Twins tours could deal with whatever size group you take with you - but if the size of your group depends on whether people feel 'safe' then please encourage them all to go.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Bank question - do I need a guide

Tourists travel throughout the West Bank every day and it is safe and you will be welcomed. Unless you know exactly where you are going and what you plan to see, I would suggest getting a guide. In Jericho, the sites are spread out, not in walking distance. A driving guide would make your day go seamlessly. I would trust Heather's recommendation of a guide/company as she has had recent experience with several companies.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Bank question - do I need a guide

I would echo what others have said; for the most part it's not a safety issue, but more of a issue of getting around. The West Bank is still a complicated tangle of roads and checkpoints and the signage is no where as good as in Israel. With the numbers you are looking at, the cost of a guide per person would be very modest and money well spent.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
601 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Bank question - do I need a guide

thanks all. I got a guide and vehicle for $55/person for the whole day & able to spend little more than half day in west bank and the other time in Mt. of Olives with the guide (Victor). We arranged this with Twins Tours and in my opinion it is $$ well spent. We were there the day after the 3 teenagers were found dead and despite all of the tensions, we didn't have any problem in any border crossings. It is sad day though.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Bank question - do I need a guide

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing that. :)

Yes, it is a very sad time.

7. Re: West Bank question - do I need a guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:15