We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on travel schedule

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on travel schedule

Hi,

This summer (july) we are travelling to Israel. We are a group of young friends (23 years old) and would like some advice on our travel plan :)

This is what we are planning to do:

Day 1: Arrive at ben gurion at 9 AM, travel with bus to Eilat

Day 2: Eilat -> Petra & visit Petra

Day 3: Visit Petra & travel back to Eilat

Day 4: Travel to Ein Gedi, visit dead sea and travel to Jerusalem

Day 5 - 7: Jerusalem

Day 8 - 10: Tel Aviv

Now we are wondering if it is a good idea to include Petra? It would cost us 2 days of travelling.

What do you thinks? Any good suggestions to do instead of Petra? (Akko-Golan Heights-...)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and tips!

Greets

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice on travel schedule

Nonsense. Galilee is full of history. Furthermore, it's home to some of the most important places holy to billions of Christians and Jews around the world. How can you possibly say, "don't bother."

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice on travel schedule

The north of Israel has some beautiful country and hikes. I've travelled a lot and also live close to some stunning forests and lakes, but I always really appreciate the north of Israel. After saying that, if I was 23, and didn't mind the heat, and wasn't taking a flight from North Anerica, I would certainly travel to Petra and area - even on a short trip like yours. I would see Jerusalem (history), Tel Aviv (night life and beach), and the dead sea area. I don't think the 5 hour drive to Eilat should deter you. However, you can't really go wrong. Spending all your time in Israel will be amazing too. But you should rent a car if you go north.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice on travel schedule

I also live in an area surrounded by nature, forests and lakes but I still love the nature in the Galilee. It is different from what I can experience at home with all different kinds of birds and animals. There are so many microclimates in the north, with Golan being a different climate all together from the Hula Valley and then a different climate again in the Carmel mountains. Nature is very accessible in Israel and the hikes are not only beautiful but also rich in history of the area with history dating back to the Paleolithic Era! Having said that, the Negev is also beautiful and has great hiking and activities such as rappelling, biking, dune buggies, jeep touring, desert camping that may also appeal to a group of younger travellers.

NYC
Level Contributor
138 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice on travel schedule

I too am planning a 10 day first time trip to Israel (plus 3-4 additional days horseback riding in Galillee area) and am trying to decide if Petra is too much. Petra does look totally mind boggling. It's really calling to me. But that gives us realistically 7 days for rest of country. I'm traveling in March so weather considerations different. I will post my questions on another thread, but just to say, I'm weighing the same thing about Petra and timing.

Lawton, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice on travel schedule

We are traveling to Israel in the fall and you're schedule looked almost identical to ours. For the cost and time one gets to spend in Petra we opted to remove it from our schedule and rent a car and visit some of the Northern cities. Enjoy your trip...hope you post a report upon your return.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice on travel schedule

Hi,

really thanks for all the info! This is really helpful! :)

We will probably try to keep Petra in the schedule. We are now considering if it would be possible to get to Petra at day 1, so we can skip a night in Eilat. Our plane arrives at Ben Gurion at 11 AM (Thursday). Maybe a flight? Or hire a car?

Thanks!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Advice on travel schedule

Look at the Arkia and Israir web sites for information about flights from Ben-Gurion to Eilat.

http://www.arkia.com/flights-in-israel

www.israirairlines.com/?mode=page&page=14635

(there are also flights from SDE - Sde Dov airport in north Tel-Aviv, but these flights would require traveling into the city by train/taxi).

Driving down takes about 5 hours.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 07:31
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Advice on travel schedule

Thanks!

How much time should we calculate between the landing in Ben Gurion (11am) and the take off to Eilat to be save?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Advice on travel schedule

You have to go through immigration, pick up your luggage, take the shuttle from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1, then check in again and go through security. You have to get to Terminal 1 an hour before the flight. Three hours should be sufficient.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Advice on travel schedule

So given we take the flight of 15:45h, we would arrive at Eilat at 16:45h.

Is this early enough to make it to Petra that same day?

Edited: 04 June 2014, 09:21