We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental or Public Transportation?

Anaheim, California
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental or Public Transportation?

Hello,

I will be traveling with my husband, 4 year old, and 1 year old soon. I'm debating whether to rent a car. This will be my 4th trip to Israel, but my first with a family. I feel like having a car will make life easier, but I'm a little uneasy after my credit card company told me they don't cover the car insurance (apparently only three places in the world aren't covered, and Israel is one of them). I guess I'm now nervous about the likelihood of the car getting stolen and/or damaged and how much I would have to pay in deductibles, etc. I don't even know if this is a rational fear and I plan to contact relatives who live there to see what they think. For those of you experienced with car rentals in Israel, is it worth it? Is there reason to worry? Is it easy to use public transportation (and cheaper?).

We will be going from TLV to Haifa. Haifa to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea, back to Haifa, and then back to TLV.

Thank you in advance!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,264 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental or Public Transportation?

Definately get a rental car. You don't want to depend on public transportation with two young kids and all the stuff you need to shlep.

Regarding insurance, it is mandatory in Israel and can be purchased from the renal agency and for a bit more with waiver of dedictble. There are some cards which offer free insurance in Israel. Search this forum for which one (possibly someone else will proved this information).

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental or Public Transportation?

You definitely want a car for the Dead Sea because buses in that area are not very frequent. While Tel Aviv (city, not airport) - Jerusalem - Haifa (in any order, any combination) is easy and efficient by public transport, as Chana says, with all your luggage and presumably a lot of baby equipment it won't be the most practical way of getting around.

And talking of the Dead Sea, your children are MUCH too young to go in the water. Don't even think about taking them in. Minimum age is around 8 or 9 years.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental or Public Transportation?

Definitely rent a car. As Chana says you don't want to have to shlep on buses with little kids and all your gear.

Buses will work between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, buses or trains to Haifa - but getting to the Dead Sea will become much more complicated and not only will you have to work around bus schedules, you won't have transportation Friday evenings and on Saturday.

Driving here is not difficult and so many people rent cars here without any problems.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental or Public Transportation?

The rental company will offer you various insurance package so you can insure the car directly through them and not the credit card company. Your car will be insured for loss, damage, etc.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental or Public Transportation?

With two little kids you will need to be able to have unscheduled stops and have a lot of stuff handy. Only rented car will accommodate it. Please be sure to check the renting companies as some of them got bad feedback

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,030 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental or Public Transportation?

Make sure you have suitable chairs for the kids in the car, or bring your own.

7. Re: Car Rental or Public Transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:15