We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

We just got back last night, and we had a wonderful visit in Israel, 8-15 August. We were in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, and every day was great!

We are two women in our 30s, traveling on our own, one speaks no Hebrew, the other has the Hebrew skills of a 5-year-old, neither of us had been back to Israel for about 10 years. We felt completely safe at all times (except for fear of pickpockets in the shuks), and had nothing but GREAT experiences.

I had been so demoralized and terrorized from the fear of my friends, family and colleagues, that I was crying and ready to cancel the day before we left. Luckily, my partner never had one molecule, atom or iota of worry about the trip, and she was 100% right! I was never so happy to be wrong.

Of course, I will post a detailed trip report about our adventures.

The bottom line is DO NOT CANCEL! Go to Israel, bring cash, sunscreen, a hat and a travel alarm clock.

I'm happy to be home safely, but not happy to be home!

P.S. Why is the word for group taxi vans "sherut", and the word for washroom "sherutim"? Are they grammatically related? Wouldn't "sherutim" mean "many group taxi vans"? Or does sherut really mean "single toilet"? (This made us laugh) Thanks!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

P.S. Thank you/Toda raba to Douglas D., Suzepom, soshi, Anon, footsteps, avigailchaya, and all the others who helped and gave great info and recommendations! We would not have had as nice a trip without you!

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

Glad you're back safe and happy. But isn't it a shame...not to mention unfair....how time passes so quickly when we're on vacation?

Looking forward to the trip details and also an explanation from a Hebrew maven about the vocabulary question.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

LOL!! I had the SAME question, but never got up the nerve to ask anyone! Can't wait to hear the answer...

So glad you went, and had a great time. When you have your feet on the ground, fill us in!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

Yes, they're the same word. "Sherut" simply means "service" (from the verb "lesharet", which dates back to the Bible). You can use "sherut" in contexts other than taxi vans and WCs. "Sherut" for a taxi is a service taxi i.e. one that sort of does the job of a bus. I guess that "sherutim" (the plural, i.e. "services") is one of those euphemistic words for a WC (like bathroom - where's the bath???) I guess that since that word came to mean WC, people don't really use "sherutim" on its own for other things.

Avigail (Jerusalem)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

Just to add to your information on "loos" or as you Americans like to say, bathrooms/ washrooms/ JOHN?????

When we first came to Israel over 20 years ago we often heard the expression "Bet Shimush" which of course the kids shortened to Betshi!

This actually means House of USE!

These days, as others have pointed out, if you say "ayfo [where are] hasherutim" you should be directed to the right place.

But a word of warning, Seems it has become the in thing for restaurants to have way-out facilities! (even had a full article on it in Eretz magazine!)

In trendy Tel Aviv you may find unisex bathrooms, bathrooms where you can see OUT of the stall - but worry not, it is one way glass so no-one can see in!

Still, all in all an improvement on what used to be on offer.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Come again soon.

Pamela

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,511 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

To add to the list of silly euphemisms in English, who on earth rests in a "rest room"? And in the Navy, they call it "the head." Huh????? So Hebrew is consistent in that regard.

My mother was a fanatic on this subject. "It's a toilet. Call it a toilet!" But she was in the decided minority, of course.

In other languages, we notice things that we take for granted in our own, I guess. While drives me crazy as a moderately competent Hebrew-speaker is how many words are transliterated into Hebrew characters when there are perfectly good Hebrew words for it. So I will labor over the sign for Kesher Rent-a-Car only to find out that it reads, and is pronounced, as "Kesher Rent-a-Car," when Hebrew obviously has a phrase for "rent a car." Argghhhh.

But let me add to those who welcome you home, and are so happy you had a wonderful visit to Israel. I too am glad you went and didn't listen to the know-nothing advice from home. To others hesitating, please listen to this. It is the UNIVERSAL reaction of people who actually visit Israel. TV news reports do not give a real picture of day-to-day life in this wonderful, beautiful, vibrant country.

Douglas Duckett

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

QB,

Is this your trip report??? I don't think so!! I'll keep checking on here for the full blow by blow description of your visit.

H in Aus

St. Annes-on-Sea
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

Looking forward to your report!

My family have been worried so I showed them your cheery letter - hope it calms them down

9. Re: What a fabulous week! I'm so glad we did not cancel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 16:15